Thread: new zealand nursing registration

Default new zealand nursing registration

Hi can anybody help me, I am a born kiwi, however, I have completed my nursing degree in the UK - I now want to work as a nurse back home in New Zealand, but will I still have to complete an IELTS test even though I am a kiwi and will I have to still have two years post registration experience? If anyone can advise I would be very grateful

..well I can't think of even the slightest reason why you would need an IELTS test, as English is your first language. I can't be definitive about the nursing experience so why not contact either the Nursing Council or the HR person at the nearest DHB to where you plan to settle? My guess, and it is that, is that because you won't need a visa, a less senior position that someone would usually occupy immediately after qualifying would be open to you as a kiwi. It will probably come down to whether or not the Nursing Council recognises the degree from your university. Hope that helps.

Awww Thank you Karen and thank you for the idea of writing to the DHB (I didn't think of that). I have written to the Nursing Council, i'm just waiting for a reply which seems to be taking an age. Please cross your fingers for me - I'm just hoping I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    ..well I can't think of even the slightest reason why you would need an IELTS test, as English is your first language.
    How about...
    International applicants from all countries (except Australia) are required to sit an English Language assessment before submitting an application. The assessment can be either the International English Language Testing (IELTS) Academic Test, or the Occupational English Test (OET).
    As far as the Nursing Council are concerned you are an international applicant if you are registered with an overseas authority.

Having said that, I would still wait for a definitive response from the NZNC as the OP scenario is unusual.

Ian

Yes, you will need to take the IELTS, but I am not sure about the 2 yrs post reg experience. Welcome to the forum and welcome to coming back home. We have been in your glorious country for just over 2 yrs and absolutely loving it!

The NZ nursing council takes forever, try calling them via Skype.

I would definitely call them to double check, but I'm going to say you will be required to have 2 years experience because you were educated in a different country. Australian applicants are even being required to have 2 years and 2500 clocked hours of experience.

Just to update you all it is true, I do need the ILETS test. If I had been educated in New Zealand I would not have had to do it. But because I was educated in the UK I do have to.

That does seem ludicrous really. Two English-speaking countries! One to remember for the future. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Two English-speaking countries!
    There is no requirement to speak English in the UK and plenty of health professionals don't speak it very well as has been highlighted by some well publicised incidents.

Simon