Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering migration to NZ

Default Considering migration to NZ

Hi,

I am in Sydney with OZ PR visa. I am working here in IT consulting firm. I have been offered to permanently shift to Auckland, NZ with the OZ salary converted to NZ dollars.

1. I understand upon landing in NZ I would be granted a NZ PR based on my OZ pr. However, when the OZ PR expires I wouldn't be able to travel out of it so I think its best to get a NZ PR as well. Does any one know any one having similar situation?

2. Besides, I was considering to take up a degree course and my spouse was also considering the same. Which fees is applicable to NZ pr holders, would it be for international student fees or local students fees? Will there be any fee help available? I am academically not brilliant so I cant apply for scholarships and with a mortgage I would want to keep this fees as little as possible.

3. how does healthcare function there? is it similar to medicare is Australia or NHS in UK? do they have waiting periods as bad as they have in some of the OZ hospitals? Is the quality of the healthcare system good?

4. are the living expenses lesser than Sydney's living expenses? I know for sure that home rentals in wellington are comparatively lower than here in Sydney.

5. I am undergoing a treatment here in Sydney. Will I be able to continue same treatment there?

Thanks for your information

HI. Can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that as an Australian Permanent resident or Citizen you are entitled to pay domestic fees (i.e. the same as NZ fees) in New Zealand if you meet one of these criteria: •An Australian citizen currently living in NZ or •An Australian permanent resident with a returning resident’s visa and currently living in NZ.

but you can only get a Student loan if you have been ordinarily resident in NZ for 2 years. This changes to 3 years in January 2014.

I don't know much about Australian visas but how come if you have PR i.e. Permanent Residence, it will expire?

Here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42200 is another recent thread with some links that may help.

3. how does healthcare function there? is it similar to medicare is Australia or NHS in UK? do they have waiting periods as bad as they have in some of the OZ hospitals? Is the quality of the healthcare system good

It is somewhat socialized but you also have to pay for some things. Anything related to the hospital is free(will be if you are a PR), you have to pay $5 for prescriptions(if they are funded), have to pay from $17 to $45 for the GP for an adult and you have part for x-rays etc. if they are done outside of the hospital. Labs are always free.
    Yes there are waiting lists for referrals to specialties (5 months is the average in our area) and waiting lists for non urgent surgeries, tests etc. the care in the ED is good and you are seen based on acuity, not time of presentation and the wait times can be long, up to 9 hrs in our ED for non urgent stuff.
    There are private A/E's where the wait time is normally less and you pay a portion of your care.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    I don't know much about Australian visas but how come if you have PR i.e. Permanent Residence, it will expire?
    Thanks for the information. At first it sounds silly that PR expires. I too realized it only after receiving the visa. Most probably it is to keep in check for the people who would get the visa and wouldnt move in or stay away for most of the time in the first 5 years.

However, it seems like its not going to help me in any way. It would rather delay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    3. how does healthcare function there? is it similar to medicare is Australia or NHS in UK? do they have waiting periods as bad as they have in some of the OZ hospitals? Is the quality of the healthcare system good

It is somewhat socialized but you also have to pay for some things. Anything related to the hospital is free(will be if you are a PR), you have to pay $5 for prescriptions(if they are funded), have to pay from $17 to $45 for the GP for an adult and you have part for x-rays etc. if they are done outside of the hospital. Labs are always free.
    Yes there are waiting lists for referrals to specialties (5 months is the average in our area) and waiting lists for non urgent surgeries, tests etc. the care in the ED is good and you are seen based on acuity, not time of presentation and the wait times can be long, up to 9 hrs in our ED for non urgent stuff.
    There are private A/E's where the wait time is normally less and you pay a portion of your care.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the detailed information. Do you know if dentistry and optometry included in the care?

Thanks JandM, Could you please help me shed some light on my other questions ?

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed information. Do you know if dentistry and optometry included in the care?
    You pay for these.

There are old threads you can find with Search about the cost of living in various parts of NZ.

It's not clear what you are asking about your treatment - whether you mean about the financial side of things, or whether NZ doctors would be willing to liaise with your existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You pay for these.

There are old threads you can find with Search about the cost of living in various parts of NZ.

It's not clear what you are asking about your treatment - whether you mean about the financial side of things, or whether NZ doctors would be willing to liaise with your existing ones.
    Yes, I was thinking if the doctors from NZ would continue with the treatment or would they consider the reports from the OZ doctors without having to go through the process again as we have already spent few months in the investigation.

Take your medical records. In my case I had no problems with getting the same prescriptions. But if your treatment is more serious than that, I really can't say how they approach it, but I would think they would take your Oz dr's findings as authoritative. But that's a guess. Maybe your Oz dr would know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast