Thread: US Govt Shutdown Delaying FBI Police Checks?

Default US Govt Shutdown Delaying FBI Police Checks?

My daughter-in-law's first FBI police certificate application was returned as the fingerprints were rejected....even though she had them done at the local police station! She had them done again and returned the application a few weeks before the US government shutdown. I read that the FBI would not be affected by the shutdown - but someone told me that parts of the FBI are shutdown.

Is anyone else waiting on their US FBI police certs and if so, do you have any info on the status?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    My daughter-in-law's first FBI police certificate application was returned as the fingerprints were rejected....even though she had them done at the local police station! She had them done again and returned the application a few weeks before the US government shutdown. I read that the FBI would not be affected by the shutdown - but someone told me that parts of the FBI are shutdown.

Is anyone else waiting on their US FBI police certs and if so, do you have any info on the status?

Thanks.
    http://www.justice.gov/jmd/publicati...gency-plan.pdf

 Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI): As a Presidential Appointee, the Director is not subject to furlough. Excepted personnel are needed because all operations of the FBI are directed toward national security and investigations of violations of law
    5 The current USMS Director has elected to retain SES leave benefits and is, therefore, subject to furlough unless otherwise excepted.
    Page 8 of 10
    September 30, 2013
    involving protection of life and property. Thus, the FBI must be able to continue existing investigations, open new investigations, and respond to all contingencies which might arise during a lapse of appropriations. Accordingly, all FBI agents and support personnel in the field are considered excepted from furlough.
    At FBI headquarters, the excepted personnel will provide direction and investigative support to all field operations and excepted headquarters functions. This includes personnel in the Criminal Justice Information Services Division, which provides fingerprint identification services to criminal and national security investigations, and the Records Management Division, which provides name check services to criminal and national security investigations. Excepted personnel also include nearly all federal employees supporting the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

PS: If you read the whole 10 pages, you will see that the contingency plan only forecasts for a 5 day "funding hiatus".

PPS: Your daughterin-law is still in the US, no? I would highly recommend paying extra for livescan.

72andsunny, many thanks for your information. Yes - DIL had the second set of prints done livescan...but they still had to be snail-mailed to the FBI....and hopefully back again!

We paid the $50 to use a "FBI Approved Handler", I got my results back in a couple hours. That was pre-shutdown though. :/ If it's still taking to long, you might want to look into that option.

Aghh - wish we'd known about that! But we called NZ immigration and they said to submit the app without the police check, (which they have done) along with a letter explaining the delay on the police certificate (which they still haven't received).
    Once the cert arrives, they'll mail it in but it won't slow down the visa application process in the meantime.

Well that's good! Glad to hear it won't delay things.

DIL's police cert still hasn't been returned!

I heard it can take up to 3 months, or something along those lines, if you apply to the FBI directly. Is INZ asking for it again?