Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business from Italy

Smile Business from Italy

Good morning to everyone, I wish to start a new business exporting goods from Italy to NZ.
    I have a brother that currently live in Auckland from almost 2 years that could be very helpful to my start-up.
    What do you think about that?
    Does exist any business/market report in order to understand goods most requested?
    Any suggestion, idea or advise to help me?
    I realize that it's not easy but Italy has got a lot of very interesting products....

Wait for your comments

Thanks

I suggest you should contact your embassy in Wellington - they have a section about doing business in NZ. http://www.ambwellington.esteri.it/a...ata_wellington

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I suggest you should contact your embassy in Wellington - they have a section about doing business in NZ. http://www.ambwellington.esteri.it/a...ata_wellington
    Thank you, I've seen that exists also ICCNZ that may offer a good support to start-up my business.

In any case... I'd like to have your free and personal comments about the business opportunity to import goods from Italy.... really, is it a crazy idea, does it make sense, is it a good opportunity.... what do you think? you really know how market is and could address me throught the right way

Thank you in advance for your reply

I'm not the person to answer this in detail - I'm in the UK.

In general terms, I think you need to research two ideas. 1) Are there ex-pat Italians in sufficient numbers, where you are thinking of setting up, pining for a taste of home? (There are several quite successful British shops in different parts of NZ, working on this basis.) 2) Can you offer authentic Italian goods, better than the supermarket versions, for people who liked eating in Italian restaurants back in Europe or the US, at competitive prices?

You focused on what I thought: really autenthic and high quality Italian foods.
    It's clear to focus on something special and different not searching high volume as for a supermarket.
    High quality doesn't mean always high price, it depends.
    Price is done by market, I can know the cost.
    I'm so sure about the real value of the product and I believe to be able to start-up a fair and small business, nothing more.
    What about how find who could be interested to Italian food?
    Do anyone know in which way try to propose our Italian product?
    Directly to seller-reseller or exist other way?

I wish to receive any comments from someone who lives in NZ....

There is something like this in Nelson. It's called Prego Mediterranean Foods. http://www.pregofoods.co.nz/pc/home.asp
    There seems to be a small but thriving Italian and Italian descendants community in the Nelson region.

Maybe this site will be of assistance to you. Italian Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand.
    The Italian Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand Inc. (ICCNZ) focuses on Italian companies wishing to establish commercial or industrial links with New Zealand, Italian companies or their representative offices already established in New Zealand and New Zealand firms wanting to develop their activities in the Italian markets.
    www.iccnz.com/‎

Yes, it was what I found but.... it's three times that I wrote, both in Italian and English, but nobody answer to me.
    I tried also changing my email because I was afraid to go in spam but same result: no asnwer.
    WHY??
    I want to became member paying annual fee, but seems to be impossible.
    Has anyone been in contact with them?
    What could I do?

Good news, I've found the contact to ICCNZ and I discussed with them by phone.
    It seems interesting what they offer but for everything they do I have to pay (plus fixed cost of around 380NZ$ per year - not so cheap...)
    Has anyone had an experience with this association?
    Do they really give you contact for business and help to start-up?
    Now I have to meet potential customer for Italy product... which way do you advise to start?

Many thanks
    Last edited by picj76; 24th October 2013 at 05:58 AM.

You don't get anything for nothing. As to whether they give you the contacts or steer you in the right direction,! which is probably more to the point. If they are your only contacts in New Zealand, I don't see that you have much choice other than to join the association.
    ICCNZ can perform a number of very useful business services for companies. Reductions apply for ICCNZ financial Members.

If you would like assistance in any of the services below, please contact us.
    Commercial information Local research on commercial reliability of operators
    Industrial and commercial cooperation Research for financing assistance and joint ventures on specific projects.
    Market research Studies on your products and impact on local market
    Meetings, Conferences, Seminars and/or Missions Organisation of meetings with local operators, seminars and/or conferences, and/or Missions
    Operator list Brokers, importers, trading companies, potential partners
    Market oriented research Selection of potential partners for your product/service
    Promotions Trade fairs, trade missions and seminar participation
    Technical information Customs rules and tariffs, duties and taxes, import laws
    Country specifics Economic structure, import-export rules, investment policy, company law, contract law, distribution channels
    Commercial disputes Assistance in the friendly resolution of commercial disputes
    Interpreting and Translating Recommended contacts for translation of document and presentations and interpreting services at meetings and presentations
    Advertising Advertising of trade requests or offers of goods and services in Chamber publications
    Exhibitions and International Trade Missions Participation in local exhibitions and international trade missions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast