Thread: Student visa

Default Student visa

My son is a dual US-NZ citizen and lives in the US with his wife and three kids. They're applying for residency as soon as his wife's FBI police certificate arrives. Medicals and X-rays have been done. I called NZ immigration on their behalf and was told by a nice woman at immigration, 'of course you'll want the children to be in NZ for the start of the new school year at the end of January' - that they don't need to wait for the residency visa to arrive but can apply for an open work visa (partner sponsored) for my son's wife and student visas for the kids. And not to apply until November as the visas only take 25 working days to process. No worries mate! Based on this info they've purchased their one-way tickets to NZ arriving on Jan 1.

We can't find anything on student or open work visas that states the applicant must arrive in NZ within 'X' days of the visas being issued, so we're wondering why NZ immigration said not to submit the applications until November. But my son and DIL are a little nervous about not applying for the visas until November - so they'd like to apply for the kids' student visas this week - and DIL's work visa as soon as her police cert arrives. They'll apply for the residency visa at the same time.

I've done a search here and can't find an answer to this question so hoping someone here will have some info. Many thanks.

It is a long time ago now, but I think that on our initial visas it did say something about the 'not later than...'. I would think that there is some sort of time limit on every visa, just to make sure that people don't wait for years, in the meantime their circumstances might have changed etc.
    But I can't imagine that it will be such a short period of time that the visas would lapse if they apply now. If it was me, I think I, too, would prefer to have a longer time frame, just for peace of mind! In theory the processing might only take 25 days, but there could be all sort of things delaying the process, if it was only the person dealing with them falling ill....

Many thanks! I'll forward your response to my son.

I've found these images of NZ student visas. They seem to have a limited life, of ? a couple of months.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RpxFssZkz_...+CollegeBB.jpg
    http://studyinnewzealand.files.wordp...nstudents1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I've found these images of NZ student visas. They seem to have a limited life, of ? a couple of months.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RpxFssZkz_...+CollegeBB.jpg
    http://studyinnewzealand.files.wordp...nstudents1.jpg

Am I reading those wrong? They both have over a year.

I must be missing something here, but I don't understand why the children need visas at all -- aren't they citizens by descent?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Am I reading those wrong? They both have over a year.
    Oops! No, I was reading them wrong.

I just got my daughter's student visa last week, and hers is tied to the expiration date of my visa. I'm on a Partnership Work Visa. She does not have an enter by date on hers. I already had my visa, and hers was processed in Washington back in the U.S. It was mailed on the 1st, and she received her visa via FedEx on the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    I must be missing something here, but I don't understand why the children need visas at all -- aren't they citizens by descent?
    My son is a citizen by descent - so he can't pass his citizenship on to his kids. They need student visas while waiting for the residence visa to be processed.