Thread: WHV to Temporary Partnership Visa: Time Overlap?

Default WHV to Temporary Partnership Visa: Time Overlap?

Hi All, long-time lurker first-time poster.

I've (US citizen) been living in Wellington with my partner (NZ citizen) since August, originally arriving on a three month visitor visa. In September I was granted a WHV (last chance as I just turned thirty ) which expires September of next year. Because we had not lived together before, we started to immediately gather evidence so that we'd be able to apply for the temporary partnership-based work visa.

As for evidence, we've got support letters from family and friends, photographs, joint bank account, mail in my name to NZ address, letter from landlord/neighbours, receipts, joint travel tickets, Western Union forms of money sent between us (and to me at NZ address), joint bills and other personal communication between us to support showing us having a sincere and real relationship.

I can't seem to find any information telling me if I am granted to partnership-based visa, will it be added on to the end of my WHV? Or, will it render my WHV void and give me a new visa expiration date? I'm hoping it will be added in to the end of my current one. Does anybody know or have any information?

Thanks! Kat

Too long; didn't read: my WHV expires in September 2014. I am applying for a temporary partnership based work visa in November. If it is accepted will it be added on to the end of my current visa or render my current visa null and void?

This is a question you could ask INZ - I haven't seen it raised before. I'm fairly sure, though, that whenever INZ finish processing your partner-sponsored work visa and it gets put in your passport, it will knock out whatever is left of your WHV, and start from then, because if they let it hang, there could be the argument that the couple might have split up in the intervening months and the visa might not be justified after all. I suppose you could wait and do a bit of brinkmanship - put in your application quite late on in your WHV so there would be minimal overlap, but the 'will it come in time?' part might not be good for the nerves.

Incidentally, don't forget to keep on collecting partnership evidence - one year down the line, you're going to need it to apply for partner-sponsored Residence.

JandM is correct (as always). It will start from whenever it is approved.

Thanks JandM and Karen! That's what I was thinking, thanks for confirming!