Thread: Wellington hubs. Apart from the CBD, where's the action at?

Default Wellington hubs. Apart from the CBD, where's the action at?

3 weeks until I arrive in Wellington. My work is portable, provided I've got internet access, so I'm arriving 6 weeks ahead of my wife and 2 cats to secure a roof over our heads.

Our Wellington jaunt is a 12 month renting exercise to decide whether we'd like to purchase a home and stay permanently for 5 years or so. This comes on the back of a positive 3 month Wellington test drive in 2011.

We've been scouring trademe for rental properties for 6 months. Until recently, the house hunting was aspirational fantasy because our arrival was so distant but now, we're at the business end, and sh*t's gettin' real!

The mere 5 hours time difference between our current home of Perth, Australia and NZ seems to be enough for locals to have the jump on us because in the past week we've phoned regarding 3 properties within 24 hours of listing on trademe but all have already been snapped up.

It occurs to us that although we have the dream wishlist for our Wellington home, we might have to compromise on one or more of our preferences, which are as follows:

• Under 30 mins walk to CBD (Preferably 20)
    • Under 20 mins walk to green belt
    • A view (Preferably water)

This is where we get to the crux of this post. If we have to compromise on walking proximity to the CBD, where else could we live close to where we could still meet the other criteria but be within reasonable walking distance during the day for breakfast, lunch or a good coffee that also has enough life at night to support some decent eateries and drinking holes. As a yardstick, Hataitai doesn't quite cut it but Newtown would.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

To be honest nowhere in Wellington is that far from the CBD. OK, your 30 minutes may be by bus but there are great places for lunch, coffee etc outside the CBD. (in fact, probably better eg Miramar Peninsula, Lyall Bay etc). Those suburbs may seem further but are definitely close enough to live comfortably.
    If you really want to be 30 mins on foot, with a view, how about Roseneath, Oriental Bay, Thorndon (not such good a view), Wadestown.

I seriously would not sign up for any rental without seeing the place, unless there's somebody you can trust to look it over for you. We have heard of people who were tied in for x months and REALLY wished they weren't. The recommendation is to get something temporary to begin with, and get the feel of districts for yourselves.

Wasn't there a post recently of someone who is renting in Wellington- with a view..., but the house is north- facing...?! I seem to remember that they wish they had known about what this means before, coming from Perth you will of course be aware of the north/ south issue, but Wellington is probably worlds away from the temperatures you're used to, so I would second what is said above- don't rent without having seen the property first!

Just to clarify, we have no intention of signing a rental lease without seeing the house first. The phonecalls we made were merely enquiries for more info on the properties.

So, back to the main question, where are there community hubs with a bit of life after dark and a choice of eateries or drinkeries outside of the CBD?

You will find that Wellington is not the liveliest place after dark. Newtown (which you already mentioned) is possibly both top and tail of the "list".

Just to clarify, we have no intention of signing a rental lease without seeing the house first. The phonecalls we made were merely enquiries for more info on the properties.
    The way rentals go in NZ, it's very often a matter of grab-or-it's-gone.