Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with EWRB and correct Visa's

Default Need help with EWRB and correct Visa's

Some time ago I made a thread as well but I didn't get all the answers I wanted: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....777#post484777

To sum things up:
    - I can travel to New Zealand without any VISA because I have residence in Denmark for a maximum of 3 months
    - I first and foremost need an EWRB electrician license (6-8 weeks processing) that has to be applied for by post mail (no email)
    - My job is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List

First, about the EWRB License, what is the difference between the Overseas Registration Application Form and the Limited Certificate Application Form ? Obviously one of them has limits to it, but because I want to stay in NZ for a pretty long time, should I apply for the overseas license instead? There's all kinds of info about the limited license on their website (http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/overseas.html) but nothing about the overseas one which confuses me.

So, I'd like a Work to Residence Visa, but first I'd need a job offer judging by looking at this form: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1015.pdf
    which I can get in the 3 months I'm allowed to stay without a visa. Or rather 2 months, 'cause the visa has got some processing time as well.
    Do I still have to make an application form of either IQA or NZQA if I go this route?

Should I get a Working Holiday visa before I do anything of the above?
    I'm really concerned about everything, because if these licenses and Visa's don't have a good outcome the first time and I have to leave the country or something, it means I've burnt a lot of money, primarily on the flight to NZ which would kill me.

Any other tips you might want to share with me?
    Last edited by Seabottom; 14th October 2013 at 12:33 AM.

I can't help with the electrician licence - hopefully someone else can do that. If you get a Working holiday Visa, you will be able to work in NZ in any role while you get your licensing sorted, on a visa-waiver, you can't. You will need a job offer for any sort of Work Visa (other than Working Holiday, Job Search, or those based on partnership). As "Electrician" is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List you could get a Work to Residence: LTSSL Visa with the right job offer. If you get your registration as an Electrician without needing an IQA then that will be all you need. It depends on what the Licensing Board require.

Hi Seabottom,

I went through this process this year but initiating the process was a bit confusing. As I recall, I first submitted the OVERSEAS REGISTRATION FORM. With this form, I also submitted certified copies of my South African qualifications (certified by NZ justice of peace officer NOT South African. There should be someone in your country that can do this for you or alternatively send in the originals).

Furthermore, I obtained DETAILED confirmation of employment letters from my previous electrical related employers. The letters which I initially sent to EWRB were not accepted as they were not descriptive enough. On my second attempt, I gave a very detailed list of what electrical work I did. For example, instead of saying "I installed light fittings" rather give a breakdown of how you installed the fitting i.e. was it a flood light? was it downlighters? what cable did you use? was the cable protected with conduit? was the cable on ladder tray? what kind of ladder tray was it? Was the tray suspended from the ceiling or against the wall? I think you probably get the picture. Remember EWRB get hundreds of applications from around the world so the more you describe to them, the more they will be able to relate and confirm that it is prescribed electrical work. They will be looking for you to prove 4years of prescribed electrical work experience.

The biggest challenge for me was getting these letters from my employers and asking them to take the time to generate a list of my chores.

EWRB will then assess you application and let you know whether or not you are eligible for a LIMITED CERTIFICATE. Once you have this confirmation, you will find it alot easier to get a job as an electrician. Bare in mind that you will need to work for a company that employs a NZ REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN who is willing to sign as your SUPERVISOR.

EWRB will then give you a list as to what you need to complete in order to obtain FULL ELECTRICAL REGISTRATION in NEW ZEALAND. This will vary based on the Overseas.doc (downloadable from the EWRB website) which gives specific details for each country.

I wish you all the best and I hope this helps a bit. Please note that this was just my experience and maybe yours will be completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    I can't help with the electrician licence - hopefully someone else can do that. If you get a Working holiday Visa, you will be able to work in NZ in any role while you get your licensing sorted, on a visa-waiver, you can't. You will need a job offer for any sort of Work Visa (other than Working Holiday, Job Search, or those based on partnership). As "Electrician" is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List you could get a Work to Residence: LTSSL Visa with the right job offer. If you get your registration as an Electrician without needing an IQA then that will be all you need. It depends on what the Licensing Board require.
    Ok, well that sounds pretty straight-forward

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Arendse View Post
    Hi Seabottom,

I went through this process this year but initiating the process was a bit confusing. As I recall, I first submitted the OVERSEAS REGISTRATION FORM. With this form, I also submitted certified copies of my South African qualifications (certified by NZ justice of peace officer NOT South African. There should be someone in your country that can do this for you or alternatively send in the originals).
    Were these forms sent by postal mail or email? What do you mean by a "certified" copy? Isn't it enough to put your certificates in the copy machine and send it?

Furthermore, I obtained DETAILED confirmation of employment letters from my previous electrical related employers. The letters which I initially sent to EWRB were not accepted as they were not descriptive enough. On my second attempt, I gave a very detailed list of what electrical work I did. For example, instead of saying "I installed light fittings" rather give a breakdown of how you installed the fitting i.e. was it a flood light? was it downlighters? what cable did you use? was the cable protected with conduit? was the cable on ladder tray? what kind of ladder tray was it? Was the tray suspended from the ceiling or against the wall? I think you probably get the picture. Remember EWRB get hundreds of applications from around the world so the more you describe to them, the more they will be able to relate and confirm that it is prescribed electrical work. They will be looking for you to prove 4years of prescribed electrical work experience.
    That sounds like it's going to be A LOT of pages if I have to describe my work in that much detail. And these papers have to be made by my previous employer? Or can't I just make them myself and get him to sign it?
    I took a look at Denmark vs South Africa certificates needed in the overseas.doc and boy, do you need many licenses, maybe that's why your process was a bit tedious?

The biggest challenge for me was getting these letters from my employers and asking them to take the time to generate a list of my chores.
    Yeah, I can see the challenge in this

EWRB will then assess you application and let you know whether or not you are eligible for a LIMITED CERTIFICATE.
    So I submit an overseas registration form and then they'll decide if I should get a Limited Certificate instead? Ok.

Once you have this confirmation, you will find it a lot easier to get a job as an electrician. Bare in mind that you will need to work for a company that employs a NZ REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN who is willing to sign as your SUPERVISOR.
    Don't all employers in any country employ registered electricians only?

EWRB will then give you a list as to what you need to complete in order to obtain FULL ELECTRICAL REGISTRATION in NEW ZEALAND. This will vary based on the Overseas.doc (downloadable from the EWRB website) which gives specific details for each country.
    What do you mean by "I have to complete"? As in a specific amount of time working with x and y stuff? What did/do you have to do if you don't mind me asking?

I wish you all the best and I hope this helps a bit. Please note that this was just my experience and maybe yours will be completely different.
    There's only one way to find out I guess

Hi Seabottom,

*I posted these documents. Please see the EWRB website where they discuss certified copies in the document Proof_of_identity___authentication_of_overseas_doc uments on the EWRB website.

*The letters to prove your electrical work has to come from your employers. These need to be signed originals on the company's letter-head.

*Please check which form you should fill in. As mentioned in my previous post, getting the process started is a bit of a haze. I ended up sending through quite a few emails and am a bit unsure how my application got started. You can email them from the info email address found on the EWRB website.

*An employer may be familiar with the process of obtaining a practicing license for people from your country and may feel comfortable offering you a job before you actually obtain a license and be willing to assist you obtaining registration. This is rare but nevertheless still a possibility. Best to first secure your practicing license though before looking for work.

*The board may be satisfied with your qualifications and work experience gained out of New Zealand and issue you with a Limited Certificate. You will now be able to work as an electrician in New Zealand under the supervision of someone who has held full electrical registration in New Zealand for 2years or more.
    If you are issued with a limited certificate, EWRB will also give you a list of which COURSEWORK you will need to complete before you are able to get full registration. This coursework can be Electrical Regulations Exam, Practical Assessments, Electrical Theory Exam. It all depends on your experience, qualifications, and country where you gained your experience and qualifications.

I believe I have answered all your questions to the best of my knowledge but first and foremost I recommend that you send an email through to EWRB explaining your information and they will advise you on what paperwork you need to fill in.

Once again, GOODLUCK!

Thanks for replying Scott.
    Your answers are really helpful. I think I've got all that I need to know in order to get this done as smoothly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Arendse View Post
    Hi Seabottom,

*I posted these documents. Please see the EWRB website where they discuss certified copies in the document Proof_of_identity___authentication_of_overseas_doc uments on the EWRB website.

*The letters to prove your electrical work has to come from your employers. These need to be signed originals on the company's letter-head.

*Please check which form you should fill in. As mentioned in my previous post, getting the process started is a bit of a haze. I ended up sending through quite a few emails and am a bit unsure how my application got started. You can email them from the info email address found on the EWRB website.

*An employer may be familiar with the process of obtaining a practicing license for people from your country and may feel comfortable offering you a job before you actually obtain a license and be willing to assist you obtaining registration. This is rare but nevertheless still a possibility. Best to first secure your practicing license though before looking for work.

*The board may be satisfied with your qualifications and work experience gained out of New Zealand and issue you with a Limited Certificate. You will now be able to work as an electrician in New Zealand under the supervision of someone who has held full electrical registration in New Zealand for 2years or more.
    If you are issued with a limited certificate, EWRB will also give you a list of which COURSEWORK you will need to complete before you are able to get full registration. This coursework can be Electrical Regulations Exam, Practical Assessments, Electrical Theory Exam. It all depends on your experience, qualifications, and country where you gained your experience and qualifications.

I believe I have answered all your questions to the best of my knowledge but first and foremost I recommend that you send an email through to EWRB explaining your information and they will advise you on what paperwork you need to fill in.

Once again, GOODLUCK!
    Hi Scott_Arendse,

May i know how to obtain a practical license before looking for work? Limited Certificate requires supervisor letter and signature during application, since do not have job offer, hence no supervisor and the application could not proceed.

Scott was last on the forum last September, so may not quickly see your question. You could try PMing him, as he will probably get an alert for that.

Thank you JandM. Will PM him =)

Quote Originally Posted by frostworld View Post
    Hi Scott_Arendse,

May i know how to obtain a practical license before looking for work? Limited Certificate requires supervisor letter and signature during application, since do not have job offer, hence no supervisor and the application could not proceed.
    I'm from Denmark and I would assume I'd have to submit this form along with ID and graduation documents.
    Just check this site out if you want more info, what you need to read is at the bottom of the page at "What to do next".

I don't know whether to use the form I linked above or to use one of the other two on the site. They basically look identical. I guess, as long as you send the required documents and a letter explaining what you need your license for and the work you did beforehand you should be good to go if you are on the recognized countries list.

It doesn't say anywhere I have to submit a very detailed description of the kind of work I used to do in Denmark. Maybe Scott came from a country not on the recognized list.

Also, in my case, I figured I'd gather all the required documents in an envelope and send them to the EWRB once I arrive in New Zealand instead by air mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast