Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software tester looking for residency

Question Software tester looking for residency

Hello all, I’m currently working in Software Company in Auckland as Test analyst. I have 10 years of experience in software testing. All my experience before coming in New Zealand is in India only (which does not come under comparable market per NZ immigration). I have with me relieving /experience letters from all my past employers. These letters clearly states my start and date with that employer. However none of the letters mentions that I was full time employee or working for 40 hours a week etc. also these letters do not specify the list the duties I was carrying out.
    Though I’m working as software engineer my bachelors degree is not in computer science or electronics. Therefore I cannot consider my experience in LTSSL. Also my bachelors degree does not come under qualification assessment exemption.

Currently I see below points for me:

Full time job in NZ: 50 points
    Work experience: 30 points
    Total: 105 points

I have IELTS score of 7.5 please advise me about my chances of getting residency in NZ and what other things I should consider before applying for EOI. Thanks.

No one here can give you a definite answer as to your chances, but my guess would be pretty high as you're already working here. What might help is getting your current employer to write a detailed recommendation letter stating your scope of responsibilities? Good luck!

Thanks Zemien ! I already have letter of recommendation from my current employer.

Hi. I think you are well on the way to residence, assuming there are no medical or character hurdles. Your work experience can count regardless of the labour market if it was a factor in you getting your current job in New Zealand. Although you don't need the points from your qualification, you do need to show that you have a qualification that matches the ANZSCO skill requirement. However, as you have more than 5 years of relevant experience, this can substitute for the qualification. So, fingers crossed, you should be fine. You will need to prove that your previous experience was full-time and that your job title and description were a close match to the role you now have. This comes at the next stage though, so you have a little time in which to gather as much of this as possible. Eight years' worth would still give you 100 points.

Hi avi.ngp
    can u give me ur personal email id. I am too from India, into Software Testing field and currently working in KL, Malaysia. Need to discuss with you further. I could not send Private Msg to u since its disable for me. Thanks.

avi.ngp CANNOT give you his personal details, because this is not allowed on open threads on this forum. He will be able to use Personal Messaging after he has made five posts.

Thanks Karen for your detailed reply! I have been trying to get suitable letters from my previous employers. Although these are multinational companies (one being French based consulting firm and other a major broking firm based in US) I have not received any response from them yet. Does NZ immigration look for specific letters from previous employers or does it contact these employers directly? On other hand I have letter from my current (NZ) employer which clearly mentions my designation, roles and duties. Thanks.

If you cannot get letters directly from the companies, it is possible to use former co-workers to testify to whatever is missing from your existing letters (e.g. your hours and responsibilities). You could ask, for instance, the person who was your line manager, or who worked in HR, or who worked with you day by day. All that is necessary is someone who can show they worked there and had reason to know about what you did, and who will be available to be contacted by INZ during the processing of your case.

Hi avi.ngp
    are u into automation testing? which tool u r using? what's the avg pkg one should expect for more than 5yrs into testing (3 yrs into automation and 2 in manual testing). Can I know abt current job mkt in NZ?

Hi zednic20, Job market is good for software professionals however getting job may not be that easy. Job market is not as big as it is in India so you may not see company hiring 100 people in a day. The opening may be for one person in a company so they take their own time to hire new person. Most of the companies are small in nature and look for good reference before considering candidate. You can get idea about current openings from www.seek.co.nz
    Hays salary guide gives you good idea about current salary trend - http://www.hays.net.nz/salary-guide/...copy/index.htm .
    Hudson salary guide - http://au.hudson.com/Portals/AU/docu...NZ-preview.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast