Thread: Moving to New Zealand by descent with partner

Default Moving to New Zealand by descent with partner

Hi if I got a nz passport by descent and moved there would my civil partner be able to? She lives in china now. We hope to move in the uk by the end of next year together using the surinder Singh route from ireland.
    We would live in the uk for a year or two to save to go to nz. Thanks I have read link people gave me on a different thread it didn't clear it up really.
    Should I ask the cosult for nz in the uk?

I have replied to your previous thread, but perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. If you get your NZ passport and you and your civil partner can prove that you have lived together as partners for 12 months or more, you can sponsor her for a resident via as your partner. If you have lived together as partners for more than 3 months but less than a year, you can sponsor her for a temporary visa for long enough to allow you to meet the requirements to sponsor her for residence. There are conditions relating to being of good health and good character, but it really is that simple. You may be able to manage this yourselves. You an get support, but make sure your adviser/consultant is licensed. I have no idea what you mean by the "Surinder Singh" route - sorry!

Thanks would we all ready need a job in nz?

No. Please LOOK at that page I've linked to on the other thread that tells you the requirements for a partner-sponsored work visa. When a NZ citizen is sponsoring their partner, ALL you have to prove is the partnership (besides the health and character that everyone has to show, as Karen mentioned).

Thanks I think I understand. In the uk you have to work and earn 18 thousand before your partner could come from a non eu country

Would I have to live in nz first?

I don't THINK so, but Karen may know that for definite.

There's no reason NZ laws should be the same as the UK's - they're separate countries, each with their own government.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy87 View Post
    Thanks I think I understand. In the uk you have to work and earn 18 thousand before your partner could come from a non eu country
    For immigration to NZ purposes, it really doesn't make a difference who is a EU citizen or not. Obviously it does for immigrating to the UK, but from where NZ immigration is sitting, an immigrant is an immigrant is an immigrant.

As to the partnership sponsorship, both JandM and Karen have pointed you to the right places, and the answers are all in those websites.

From INZ's point of view, what they need to see is that you are in a 'real' relationship. Anyone can get married (or civil unioned), but they want to see proof of an actual existing relationship. Find a way to live together, in which country is not important, what your financial circumstances are is not important, just collect proof of your everyday life together. Once you have lived together, you will be able to apply to sponsor her.

Good luck,
    Daniela

If you are a NZ Citizen and you have a genuine partner with whom you have lived for 12 months or more you can move to New Zealand together. You could move to NZ together after 3 months or so living together, but then your partner would be on a temporary visa until you had been living together for a year or more.

Thanks yes we are genuine couple