Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my mum to NZ??

Question Getting my mum to NZ??

Hi All - Not sure if correct place to put this...sorry if its not.

Wondering if you could shed some light or give ideas etc please?

Have been in New Zealand now for nearly 1 year, my mum loves the country she has been here before and has just visited saying New Zealand feels like it should be home NOT the UK We are here on a Residence visa and will look to get a permanent residence visa next year

But the dilema now is how to get her here? I know I can do the family sponsor after I have been here 3 years, but is there a way to get her here sooner? even if its temporary ongoing until we can sponsor her? She is 54 in January and works as an Administrator.

I look forward to any responses, ideas and advice anyone can give me regarding this.

Cheers
    rach

We were in the same position - been in NZ now 2 months having finally got a family visa. We had to wait until our daughter had been here 3 years and she sponsored us. Tried all ways to get jobs to get in but could not. Now we are here, husband found it easy to get a job - the visa is the hard bit!
    Sorry, if your mum needs to work then she has a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Turner View Post
    We were in the same position - been in NZ now 2 months having finally got a family visa. We had to wait until our daughter had been here 3 years and she sponsored us. Tried all ways to get jobs to get in but could not. Now we are here, husband found it easy to get a job - the visa is the hard bit!
    Sorry, if your mum needs to work then she has a problem
    Thanks for that, yeah thats what i thought would probably have to wait

How come she would have a problem if she needed to work? Is it hard getting a job for her or can you not get a job on a family sponsor?

Thanks again

Once you have sponsored her for Residence, she would be fine to work. Or if she got a temporary work visa in her own right because of a job offer. What she CAN'T do is work on a visitor's visa.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Once you have sponsored her for Residence, she would be fine to work. Or if she got a temporary work visa in her own right because of a job offer. What she CAN'T do is work on a visitor's visa.
    Phew thanks for clearing that up JandM We did find some jobs suitable for her that were actually through an accredited employer so who knows maybe she can get a temporary work visa first whilst we wait for another few years to sponsor her?

a friend of mone came for 6 months as her sons could not sponsor her for one reason or another at that time this was then extended to a year then she got a grandparent visa which enabled her to be here another 18 months with 1 day out the country each 6 months she then lodged a sponsorship claim only to find the rules change so immigration gave her a temp 1 yr visa until decision made under new rules all in all she has been here 4+ years and finally got PR you just need nerves of steel and know you could need to go back to UK for a short time. inciently the days out on Grandparent visa she took short breaks in OZ as she does no like long distance flying!

Quote Originally Posted by rach&lou View Post
    Phew thanks for clearing that up JandM We did find some jobs suitable for her that were actually through an accredited employer so who knows maybe she can get a temporary work visa first whilst we wait for another few years to sponsor her?
    That could work if she can get a job offer. Probably the best bet is for her to travel over on a visitor's visa and actively look for work (looking, on a visitor's visa, is legal - it's starting that isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    a friend of mone came for 6 months as her sons could not sponsor her for one reason or another at that time this was then extended to a year then she got a grandparent visa which enabled her to be here another 18 months with 1 day out the country each 6 months she then lodged a sponsorship claim only to find the rules change so immigration gave her a temp 1 yr visa until decision made under new rules all in all she has been here 4+ years and finally got PR you just need nerves of steel and know you could need to go back to UK for a short time. inciently the days out on Grandparent visa she took short breaks in OZ as she does no like long distance flying!
    Great thanks for that, I have lots of ideas running through my head so all suggestions are and ideas are great

Great stuff, I was talking to her this morning before she left to head back to UK about that scenario, could be the right step forward....Thanks again, your advice/opinions are always so very helpful

Hi Again

My mum has been told that I have to wait until I am a permanent resident then wait the 3 years from then to be able to sponsor her? Is this right?

We are on a residence visa and assumed it would be 3 years from when we arrived last Nov? not from when we got permanent resident visa?

Can anyone clarify if she has been told correct or false information please?

Cheers

Rach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast