Thread: Customs at airport

Default Customs at airport

Hey

I am moving to New Zealand from Australia on 20th october. I have recently heard that the rules have changed for Loan borrowers where IRD is tracking the people. I would like to know whether I will be detained back in customs while arrivals, or is it just checked while departing the country? I am really worried about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by priya_al View Post
    Hey

I am moving to New Zealand from Australia on 20th october. I have recently heard that the rules have changed for Loan borrowers where IRD is tracking the people. I would like to know whether I will be detained back in customs while arrivals, or is it just checked while departing the country? I am really worried about it.

Thanks
    I'd assume they're more concerned about people leaving, as the people coming back will likely (possibly) start repaying their loans, assume you haven't been paying yours. I'd get on the phone with IRD and sort out some sort of plan now so, if detained at customs, you can show them that you're now putting some effort into repaying your debt. IRD is usually pretty nice if you're honest with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi. View Post
    I'd assume they're more concerned about people leaving, as the people coming back will likely (possibly) start repaying their loans, assume you haven't been paying yours. I'd get on the phone with IRD and sort out some sort of plan now so, if detained at customs, you can show them that you're now putting some effort into repaying your debt. IRD is usually pretty nice if you're honest with them.
    stating the obvious, good advice