Thread: Visa for spouse of NZ resident

Default Visa for spouse of NZ resident

Hi,

I am planning to get married soon, and would like to bring my wife to NZ with me. Can someone kindly answer these questions:
    • Which visa is appropriate? Tourist visa or Partnership based visa?
    • If it is partnership based visa, which one takes lesser time to get processed - Visitor visa or work visa (partnership based).
    • What is the timeframe for visa processing in India - if I apply from Chennai?

Thanks
    Ram

The possibilities depend partly on your own position. Do you yourself hold a visa for New Zealand? If so, which kind? If not, what do you plan to apply for?

Hi Ram. I am guessing you are a NZ resident from your post - but I could be wrong. If you are, the type of visa will depend on how long you and your partner have lived together. If it is less than 1 year, you will need a temporary based partnership visa - it makes no difference to the cost of timing whether this is the work or visitor version. If you have lived together for more than a year, you can apply directly for residence for her. However, if you have never lived together, it will probably have to be a visitor visa initially. This is always a little tricky, as it is hard to prove your wife's "bona fide" status as a temporary entrant. Sometimes, where cultural norms mean that it is unlikely that a couple would love together before marriage, evidence that your relationship is genuine and ongoing can be taken into consideration. My advice is to talk to your nearest INZ branch and see what they would allow.

Hi Karen,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I am on a resident visa here. I am engaged, and have been in touch with my 'would - be wife' for a while now. I can provide all relevant documents to help immigration ascertain that she is my wife. Is it fine if i apply for a tourist visa, and convert it into a partnership based visitor visa when she joins me in NZ after marriage?

I spoke to the immigration department. Some immigration officers tell me that I can bring her on a tourist visa, while others strongly suggest that I can only apply for partnership based visa. How much time does the partnership based visa take?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. The partnership-based temp visa (work or visitor) will take around 4 weeks to process - allow 6 to be on the safe side in case any additional security checks are required. Whichever way you go, general visitor or partnership-based, because your wife is intending a permanent stay in NZ, she will need a Limited Medical and Chest X-ray (as a partner) or General Medical and Chest X-ray as a visitor only. If I were you I would go for the Partnership-based Temp Work Visa - then she can at least find a job. Provide all the evidence you can and also include a cover letter which explain the situation and requests a General Visitor Visa if they are unable to offer the partnership-based Visa because you want to be able to live with your wife - not an unreasonable request! There were quite a few problems with visitor visas from India applicants, but these were investigated and I believe they have been addressed. Good luck!