Thread: In a fix

Default In a fix

Hi Guys, Let me first give you a small background, I am an Indian national and got my resident visa under SMC last December, but didn't able to travel to NZ as I have to fly to US for a work assignment. I am currently in US and my wife is 6 months pregnant. As per resident visa we have to enter NZ but Dec this year, so me and my wife are planning to visit NZ for a week next month just to activate our visa's and then will return back to US.

I have following questions -

1. Activating our visa will give us 2 yrs of travel condition as per resident visa, is that a correct statement? So that we can enter NZ sometime later next year and look for jobs.

2. My baby is due in March, how to get his/her visa done? as we already have our visa stamped and not currently in NZ.

Thanks
    Mayur

While this could get a little complicated, I don't believe there is anything to worry about. If your baby is born in NZ, the baby will have NZ Citizenship as the child of NZ residents born in NZ. If your baby is born elsewhere, and you and your partner are not by that time "ordinarily resident" in New Zealand, it would appear that you can't apply immediately for a Residence Visa for your baby as a Dependent Child. I think you may need a Visitor Visa or similar until you start to reside in NZ. I suggest you contact any branch of INZ and ask them specifically about your case - just to be on the safe side. Good luck with everything.

We are planning to visit NZ just for a week to activate our resident visa, baby will be born outside NZ.....US or India have not decided yet

I may have got this wrong but if your wife is already 6 months pregnant, how can the baby be due in March? And don't forget that she won't be able to fly after a certain number of weeks. (And that babies can arrive before their due date...)
    All the best with everything.

Sorry for confusion, she will be 6 months pregnant when we will visit NZ by end of next month.

Answering your questions:

1. Activating our visa will give us 2 yrs of travel condition as per resident visa, is that a correct statement?
    Yes this is correct.
    So that we can enter NZ sometime later next year and look for jobs.
    Yes this is correct.

2. My baby is due in March, how to get his/her visa done? as we already have our visa stamped and not currently in NZ.
    Apply tourist visa for your child and travel to NZ and then apply dependent child visa. Lots of people go through the same situation and this would be straight forward.