Thread: Family visa for Postgraduate studdent

Default Family visa for Postgraduate studdent

Dear all

I am planning to follow postgraduate studies(area of absolute skill shortage) in NZ university for one academic year and known that I have to provide evidence of funds up front for the tuition fee + living expenses(NZ$15,000). Since I am a postgraduate student, my partner can apply for temporary work visa and child (age 9 years) can apply for student visa as a domestic student. I want to know how much funds should I provide for my partner and for the child to obtain their visa for a period of one year. Your valuable inputs are highly regarded.

Thanks
    Tissa

Hi. Your partner only needs $4200 as maintenance according to WF4.1 of the Operational Manual and can be granted a temporary Partnership-based Work Visa for the same duration as your student visa. I know the regulations relating to dependent children of student visa holders has changed over the last couple of years. I have just been through the manual and my reading of the section (U8.4.5) is that in order for your child to be classed as a domestic student in school, you would have to be on an approved exchange scheme or be on a PhD programme. I believe that your child will count as an international student and therefore you will have to pay fees and show $15,000 for maintenance. If you tell me where you read that your child would be a domestic student I would be very happy to check this out as I know this was the case when I worked in Higher Ed - but I think it has changed.

This seems to support that view. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42649.htm

Thank you very much for you both Karen and JandM

I consider my child as a dependent child of a Work Visa holder(his mother) and follow that route.
    I have gone through the manual section (U3.35.5 Primary and secondary domestic students who require a student visa, interim visa with study conditions, or limited visa (d.)).

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45657.htm

I might be miss read this section.Your clarification will be a great help me to proceed.

Thanks
    Tissa

Hi. But his mother will be on a partner-based visa and so I think this isn't going to work out that way. Maybe to be sure, you should call the Contact Centre number in NZ
    +64 9 914 4100. hey are open 7.00 am - 7.00 pm Mon - Fri and there is no premium rate on the call. I would love to hear the outcome.

Thank you Karen

Appreciate your support. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks
    Tissa

Hi Karen /JandM

After one year I got student visa for my post graduate studies and my wife got work visa. The important thing is my child got student visa as a domestic student.
    I think this is a useful information for the forum members those plan to apply student visa along with their family members.

Thanks
    Tissa

Does anyone know if this is now outdated in terms of a student's partner being eligible for a work visa? I've had a good look and can only find mention of visitor visas for the families of students and I know that there has been a general tightening up of rules since I last looked into it all (I would be postgraduate).

Work visas are still available for the partners of those holding student visas to study for the following.
    people granted student visas to study for a level 7 or higher qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (see Appendix 4); or
    people granted student visas to study towards postgraduate qualifications
    Here are the current regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46524.htm

That's great, thanks JandM

I think we will still end up going down the skilled migrant route but at least it gives us another option. I would never have thought when I joined that we would still be looking for angles 4 years later!