Thread: Eligibility for Residence Visa from two WTRs?

Default Eligibility for Residence Visa from two WTRs?

Hi all,

I am on WTR (Accredited Employer) Visa and would be completing two years on the same in Feb/2014. There is a possibility that, I might have to join a new employer on WTR (LTSSL) by December, as existing employer does not want to continue the contract. Given this situation, can I claim two years on WTR (approx. 22 months on WTR(AE) + 2 on WTR(LTSSL)= 24 months) and apply for Residence Visa? Cannot seem to find anything on INZ site and Immigration helpline is not sure.

Thanks,
    Otaku

I don't have enough information - but why can't you apply for residence under SMC right now?

Yes, that's another option. The reason I am going the WTR route is that, based on my gross salary (>90k), I might be offered PR.

Can totally see why you are going down this route. However, with the possibility of jobs changing/disappearing etc, you are in many ways much "safer" on a residence visa than a WTR visa. There isn't a lot of difference in rights and conditions between resident and permanent residence. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    Hi all,

I am on WTR (Accredited Employer) Visa and would be completing two years on the same in Feb/2014. There is a possibility that, I might have to join a new employer on WTR (LTSSL) by December, as existing employer does not want to continue the contract. Given this situation, can I claim two years on WTR (approx. 22 months on WTR(AE) + 2 on WTR(LTSSL)= 24 months) and apply for Residence Visa? Cannot seem to find anything on INZ site and Immigration helpline is not sure.

Thanks,
    Otaku
    Would suggest that you talk to INZ to see if you could just submit a 'Variation of Conditions' (VOC) application to change employer, that way you can definitely just apply for residence from work in Feb 2014.

have been employed in New Zealand during the currency of that visa for a period of 24 months by an accredited employer (or another employer if you were granted a Variation of Conditions to your work visa by Immigration New Zealand)
    The only issue is that you appear to be changing the type of WTR from Accredited Employer to LTSSL and it isn't clear if you can do that with a VOC and still count.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Can totally see why you are going down this route. However, with the possibility of jobs changing/disappearing etc, you are in many ways much "safer" on a residence visa than a WTR visa. There isn't a lot of difference in rights and conditions between resident and permanent residence. Just a thought!
    If the mentioned route of two WTRs does not work, I will go for Residence through SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Would suggest that you talk to INZ to see if you could just submit a 'Variation of Conditions' (VOC) application to change employer, that way you can definitely just apply for residence from work in Feb 2014.

The only issue is that you appear to be changing the type of WTR from Accredited Employer to LTSSL and it isn't clear if you can do that with a VOC and still count.

Ian
    VoC is applicable if one is going from one Accredited Employer to another. Plus, one should be in the same location, have similar sounding job titles etc.. After I explained my situation, they suggested filing for a new Work Visa.

So, while a new Work Visa would be okay, I suspect you would easily meet the requirements for SMC with the job offer, so might not this be a better bet? Just a thought????