Thread: Residence through buying business shares, any chance?

Default Residence through buying business shares, any chance?

Dear all,

I came to Christchurch in Feb 2011 under an open working visa, which was issued because my husband came to Christchurch to do his postgraduate. I have been working hard, contributing and socializing with Kiwi friends. We realize that we love this city and want to live here.

It seems to be difficult for my husband to find an adequate job after finishing PhD so applying PR through SMC without job offer is quite risky. So I think I will apply through investing in business

We have a Kiwi friend who runs a small business. He offers me 25-40% shares of his business to make sure that I have a place to work and earn enough for living. I did not have business experience before coming to NZ, but I have learnt from working in that business with my Kiwi friend. I'm confident and we have money to buy business shares. I just do not know which kind of visa I should apply? Business visa or entrepreneur? And how long I have to go to get PR?

Is there any good immigration advisor in Christchurch dealing with that ?

To be honest, we want to get PR to ensure that we can live in Christchurch legally and to maintain our investment, nothing more than that.

Thank you very much for reading my thread!
    I appreciate all advices/infor that you would provide

Kind regards,
    Julia

HI. Firstly, are you sure you can't get to 140 points towards SMC without a job offer? If you can, this could be a good route. Secondly, the answer to your business related question is - it all depends how much you will be investing. Start by reading http://dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1108 which might help. If you go down the investment/business route, this is one where in my opinion, you will benefit from expert help - whether this is using an accountant who has knowledge of this area, an immigration adviser, or whoever is appropriate. There are also Entrepreneur Routes that you could consider. I do have a contact who is an LIA in Christchurch who I can guarantee is honest and knowledgeable. He would not charge you to give you an indication of your chances and you could take it from there. Although I am not offering this name in order to get any reward from anyone, I am associated with the company as I handle some of their clients based in the UK, so I am not sure about the rules for giving you his details on this Forum. Maybe, when you have made more than 5 posts you should send me a Private Message as I think this is a more appropriate route.

Dear Phillips,

I have viewed many threads and have seen you gave very good and honest advices to people. You have my respect even I do not know you.

My husband will finish his PhD in mid 2014, he is able to do any job in GIS-spatial analysis-remote sensing, forest management, business analysis. However, since the economy is not as expected, he told me that it will be difficult to find job that is relevant to his study. We could get 140 but he said without job offer our application will be denied.

I will try to contact directly to you to get advice.

Thank you very much!

Hi Julia, I saw your thread while trying to find fellow Vietnamese on this forum Regarding your situation: I read a few weeks ago that for SMC application with 140 point and no job offer, if the main applicant has a post graduate degree on a major under LTSL, following a minimum 2 year studying in NZ, RV shall be granted without the need of the CO interview -> no worry about JSV or decline. Is your spouse PhD for a major under Long Term Shortage List? If so, be confident to start SMC application.
    Last edited by tchu; 25th November 2013 at 04:04 PM.