Thread: sponsoring family

Default sponsoring family

hi,
    may i enquring about bringing parents to nz?
    if im already NZ PR and my parents want to join me in nz?
    are they eiligible to apply? if one of them happpen to have diabetics, will they be rejected?
    please advise.
    thanks.

Hi. There is a special category for parents of NZ Residents/Citizens. Whether or not they are eligible depends on lots of factors such as how much money you earn in NZ or they have in the way of pension or other income or as investments. This determines whether or not they fall into Tier 1 or Tier 2. If they are Tier 2, the wait is estimated at 7 years or more. For Tier 1, it can be less than a year from application to residence. They do have to meet the ASH requirements and diabetes could be a problem, but it would depend on the type and the stability of the condition - I am not a medical expert. They also have to meet character requirements of course. Take a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/live/parent/. You have to have been a resident for at least 3 years. There are also temporary visas for parents and grandparents that allow multiple entry for periods of up to 18 months. That should hopefully get you started!

There are requirements on the person wanting to sponsor their parents, and on the parents themselves.

From what you have said before about your situation, you have some time to wait before you will be able to do this: the sponsor has to have been living in NZ as a Resident for a minimum of three years. If you go to the NZ Immigration website>Find a Visa>Family stream>Parents, you will see all the details. (I can't give you the link at the moment as their website seems to be down.)

There are health requirements, based on the applicant not being likely to cost the NZ Health Service too much, but a well-known condition such as diabetes, requiring control from a regular dosage of medication, is not normally a problem.

While you are still on your work visa, and while the time goes by until you can sponsor your parents, they can still apply for visitors' visas and spend time visiting you that way.

Simultaneous posting there.