Thread: Best area for schooling in Wellington area

Default Best area for schooling in Wellington area

Hi. I have a client whose wife and daughters aged 9 and nearly 7 have just had their visas approved and will soon be joining him in Wellington. He is checking schools in the area.concentrating mostly on ESOL ranks as English is not the children's first language. He is looking into Johnsonville, Hataitai or Kilbirnie. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't know this part of NZ well enough.

can not praise Churton Park school enough have a look at them my little on also went for a term to BElmont again very good, but Churton Park does have a multi national pupils

I know you know this but just to be certain - they will need to live in the zone for the school.

Thanks both of you for these - I will pass them on. My client understands the zoning - he is in the process of house hunting - but needs to be sure the house is in a good area both from a neighbourhood and schooling perspective. Having come from a country that is not so safe at present, this is extra important here. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

I had shortlisted Karori, Churton Park, then Tawa
    Both schools in Karori as well as the one in Churton Park are very good.

Churton park is very near to Johnsonville but again the zoning

I have heard good things about Kilbirnie but have not any direct personal experience myself.

I come from India, so it is quite difficult to believe the low level of crime here. It's just a matter of background and acclimitasation, I guess. Crime does happen, but by and large it is one the safest places to live.

Often one can ask on the forum regarding the safety of a particular street or suburb and the chances are you will find someone knowledgeable here.

Thank you so much - I have passed this on.

The private schools in Wellington attract a number of international students because of their ESOL programs. Would allow them to live where they wanted and not have to worry about zones.

We had a very positive experience at Worser Bay, very friendly, great staff and proactive parents. A lot of parents working in the nearby film industry (weta and the film studios) so they are used to children coming from around the world.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread!