Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend short term Car Rental

Default Recommend short term Car Rental

Hi Everyone,

Any recommendation for short term car rental.
    Also where do you buy your car from?

I plan to rent a car for probably a month before buying one.
    I have no experience buying a car before, will need all the advise I can get.
    I probably will get a family car as I have 2 kids. But considering second car to save money.

By the way, I am moving to Wellington.

http://www.omegarentalcars.com/car-r...FW1JpgodI2EAWw

Used this company twice on a recce trip and then when we moved here from AKL and they were great.
    Definitely want to buy 2nd hand if you have the chance, cars here are very expensive new. Be aware there are a lot of Japanese cars imported for NZ but their GPS, radios etc. don't always work.
    Hubby was lucky enough to buy a 5 yr old 2nd hand but 'NZ new' Nissan wing road and we are really happy with it. W are a family of 4 inc 2 kids and 1 large Labrador.

Join AA (or use a local mechanic)and get an inspection on it before you purchase it. AA also gave us a discount on annual membership as we had AAA in the US. Also shop around a bit. And people don't care what you drive here, old, new, secondhand,,,

Good luck.

We used Apex a couple of times once on our recce for a month and then a couple of weeks when we arrived. Best price and good cars we found.

Try Ace Car Rentals, they offer a Japanese sedan for between 15-19 dollars a day.
    We had one for 3 months !

I can recommend Apex, too.

I have used several car rental companies in NZ, including Ace and Omega, and haven't had a problem with any of them. Remember, you're going to get an old car with lots of kms and not as clean as it might be, but they work fine and do the job. In fact, car hire is one of the few real bargains in NZ.

As for buying a car, yes, buy used, and join AA. They'll tell you how the process works, though if you are using cash, it's just a matter of you handing the dealer a check and him handing you the keys. I assume financing is pretty much like anywhere else, too. Good luck. And enjoy it. Shopping for a car is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by gingerdingo View Post
    Try Ace Car Rentals, they offer a Japanese sedan for between 15-19 dollars a day.
    We had one for 3 months !
    I agree. I always got good prices with Ace - and when the car needed new brakes (cheaper, high mileage car) Ace took care of it with minimum hassle for me.

And bring a letter detailing your driving record, ie presuming you have had no claims or accidents in preceding few yrs as it saved us hundreds off car insurance. AMI have been really good with our car and home insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    And bring a letter detailing your driving record, ie presuming you have had no claims or accidents in preceding few yrs as it saved us hundreds off car insurance. AMI have been really good with our car and home insurance.
    Hmm... what organization would be able to provide such record? I never own a car and never had any accident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast