Thread: Need Help: Proof of English Language

Lightbulb Need Help: Proof of English Language

I am a new to this Forum and plan to get Skilled work Visa. I wanted to know for Proof of English language what all can be provided?
    Is IELTS mandatory ?

Quote Originally Posted by Savit_21 View Post
    I am a new to this Forum and plan to get Skilled work Visa. I wanted to know for Proof of English language what all can be provided?
    Is IELTS mandatory ?
    Here is the link, which talks about the language requirement.
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...quirements.htm

@ hemanshu - this means it depends on case by case basis, Either of them can be provided i.e. medium of instruction from University Or IELTS

That's right. Though we know from experience that some COs have an automatic reaction to ask for the IELTS certificate even if something else is there instead, named in the cover letter, then the applicant needs to point out what they have provided as proof. Also, notice that in cases where there is eventually some doubt, the CO has the right to require IELTS. (I have heard that some fraud has recently been discovered in India, of two kinds - that some institutions have been issuing letters saying that a course the applicant followed was all taught in English, though this wasn't the case, and also that some people with poor English have been paying another to take the IELTS test for them. This means that the requirements are being strictly applied at the moment.)

@Savit - Hope you are clear on your questions, all the best.

Hi. It's explained here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm (SM5.5)

In a paragraph (c) there's circumstances when the IELTS certificate may not be requested by a CO. But it's more like an exception. Also, IELTS is not that bad as people think. Just find a good teacher who can prepare you specifically for this kind of exam. Because I know those who has perfect speaking skills but they've failed at other parts of IELTS. Once you nailed it it's not that hard to get 6.5 overall score in IELTS. Not hard at all.

SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants

b. Principal applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category meet the minimum standard of English if they provide a Test Report Form (no more than 2 years old at the time the application is lodged) from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 6.5 in the IELTS General or Academic Module.

d. In any case, an immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the principal applicant* meets the minimum standard of English.