Thread: A young civil engineer looking for a job in NZ

Default A young civil engineer looking for a job in NZ

Hi,

My name is Martijn de Wit, i live in the Netherlands and i am 24 years years old. I have completed my 4 year bachelor degree in Architecture and Construction Engineering about 1,5 years ago. Since then i have worked as an assistant site manager on a $30 million project with experienced colleagues. I am up for a promotion after my current building site project is completed, but i am young now and i really want to leave europe. This is a feeling i have had for as long as i can remember and it is only getting frustratingly stronger with time.
    I don't want to get stuck in the rush of life and later think: what if i had taken my chances...

After my current project finishes i want to take a couple of unpayed months to visit New Zealand and go on a job search hunt over there. Hopefully finding a employer who wants to sponsor me and then later return to permantly live in New Zealand.

Are there people here who have done this? What are the job possibilities for me (when i have relatively little experience, less then 2 years when i leave for NZ)?

I would be gratefull if you find the time to post a helpfull reply!

Greetings

Martijn de Wit
    Last edited by Martijndewit; 3rd November 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Hi Martijn
    Hope I spelled your name right
    You are a civil engineer , I am sure your field of study comes under the skill shortage list (Long Term Shortage Skills)
    It is easier to get a job once you have your PR , Companies are reasonably reluctant with regard to work permits etc etc.
    Check Silver fern visa too - But this is limited and unsure about eligible countries.
    The best bet is apply for SMC - Skilled Migrant Category
    Check your qualifications under NZQA , Your age will give additional points too , not to mention your expereince.

I am sure you will be employed if the rebuild has really started , there have been concern's regarding the pace of it all starting off.

Hope it answers your questions.

Regards
    RASHVK