Thread: Medical subsidy for residents?

Default Medical subsidy for residents?

Are there any ways to get healthcare subsidies for residents (not citizens)? Do people usually buy private insurance, or just pay the standard fees for doctors?

I wanted to see a 24 hour GP over the weekend, but their standard fee was $97! So I just sucked it up and am waiting for Monday.

Does ACC cover us? And if it does, are GP visits (not due to work-related injury) covered?

I might be wrong, but in general it is more expensive to see an after- hours doctor, so unless you had an accident (which would be covered by ACC) or it is really really serious (in which case you would go to A&E), you will always pay more if you don't see your regular GP in the practice you're registered with.

After hours is approximately double - so use it if you have to but not because you ddidn't know

Med Insurance is cheap there are plans that cover GP fees, but I would just take things that cover surgery / hospitalisation

ACC does not cover anything except workplace injury

Are you registered with a GP?

Quote Originally Posted by nativecolo View Post
    Actually, that might be the only thing it doesn't cover in some circumstances

ACC covers all accidents, regardless of where they happen. However, if you have a workplace accident, there might be special arrangements and you have to go through your employer's way of dealing with injuries (I used to work at a DHB, and injuries there were dealt with differently).

Daniela

Sorry...then I am mistaken...please ignore what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by nativecolo View Post
    After hours is approximately double - so use it if you have to but not because you ddidn't know

Med Insurance is cheap there are plans that cover GP fees, but I would just take things that cover surgery / hospitalisation

Are you registered with a GP?

ACC does cover non workplace injuries too.