Thread: Is an IQA required for my EOI if I'm getting more than 140 points?

Default Is an IQA required for my EOI if I'm getting more than 140 points?

Hi there,

If anyone can help me answer this question this will be great, I'm a software engineer working in New Zealand for more than one year. I'm preparing my documents to submit my EOI soon.

I can see that I'm getting more than 140 points without claiming any points for my qualification, so is it really needed to make an IQA?

The other thing that my qualification is not relevant to my skilled employment but I have more than seven years of work experience in the software industry at multinational companies across different countries including UK & NZ.

I have asked the immigration NZ office about that and they replied that for a software engineer it's either a relevant qualification level 7, or 5 years of work experience.

But I cannot get if the IQA is still needed or not?

Thanks,
    mizo
    Last edited by mizo; 4th November 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Hi. In order to get the points for skilled employment in NZ, which is essential to your SMC you need to show that you meet the qualification and/or experience in ANZSCO for that occupation. If you have at least 5 years of relevant full-time work experience on the basis of which you got your job in NZ, you don't need to claim the points for your qualification - assuming that you have 100 points including a job offer without the qualification points. If you need points from your qualification, you will need the IQA if your qualification is not on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment. Does that help?

Thanks Karen for your quick reply. This is really useful.

I have now 160 points for my EOI including my job offer without claiming any points for my qualification.

Based on your reply I can submit my application now.

Yes - based on what you have told me, so long as you have evidence of your 5 years' experience.

For my situation can I claim bonus points for the following:
    Is your skilled employment in one of the identified future growth areas?
    ls your skilled employment in one of the areas of absolute skills shortage?

mizo

Hi. In my experience, people don't tend to get points for both IFGA and AASS. You should get the AASS points from what you have told me. Remember, you only need 100 points - anything above this is only useful if they discount something you have claimed.

And anything you claim for, which you don't actually NEED, is one more area that INZ will have to check out, which will therefore lengthen the processing time.