Thread: Work to Residency visa - to Residency visa

Default Work to Residency visa - to Residency visa

Hi,

I've been in NZ for 2 years on a work to residency visa and I have 6 months left on this visa. I've just got a 1 year extension to my work contract, so I'm just looking into my options.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the cheapest/easiest way to get a visa to cover this additonal year? (or 6 months at the end that won't be covered under my exisitng visa)

Looking into the process of using the 'work to residency' to get residency it looks pretty straightforward ..except

Under the key requirements section (I would come under the Talent (Accredited Employers) pathway:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tepsfortalent/

You must also provide confirmation in writing from your New Zealand employer that:
    your employment is ongoing (permanent or indefinite, or for a stated term of at least 12 months with an option of further terms)

So my employment is for a period of 12 months but I have no mention/option of further terms/extensions - Is it worth me paying the $900 in fees to put my application in? Will it get rejected because the employment is only for a fixed term ..now 11.5 months remaining

Is there any way I can check this point?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions
    cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. I guess the best solution for you depends on what you are trying to achieve. Are you hoping to live permanently in NZ or just or another year and then return to the UK? If you want to stay permanently, then you could try to find out if your employers would consider stating that they would offer you further work at the end of the 12 months (you may have already tried this), consider whether or not you could apply for residence under SMC. I don't know your circumstances, but if you are working in an Area of Absolute Skills Shortage and have a degree and enough work experience, points for age etc, with the bonus points for work experience in NZ, you might be able to reach 140 without using your skilled employment points. The alternative is to start looking for a new job now. You have the advantage of being in NZ and knowing the country, so this could be a real option for you. If all you want is to stay for this last 12 months, I would wait until the New Year and then apply for a work visa for the final 6 months. All the best! karen

Hi Karen, thanks for the reply.

As things stand - I'm looking to just stay another year then go back to UK. It was quite a lot of fuss to get this extra year on my contract so I don't think there will be any future extension from my employer.

I work at an 'accredited employer' which made the initial work visa quite quick and easy to get hold of - but it looks like reapplying using this route won't work as a requirement is to have an offer of employment for at least 2 years - which I assume is only concerned with future employment. I'm not sure what other work visa options would be available. I don't think I qualify under skills shortage or 'no kiwis to do the job' pathways
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

I'll try to see if HR here will give some sort of letter/statement about possible employment beyond 12 months as that would be the easiest solution (but unlikely).

I just felt a bit stuck where there doesn't seem to be a way to officially check if a specific part of an application meets the requirements or not - without just submitting the whole thing, paying the fees and seeing what happens.

Cheers
    Paul

Hi Paul. If you intend leaving NZ at the end of the year, I would think the simplest solution is to get an Essential Skills Work Visa for the final 6 months as this is an extension of an existing contract. May I suggest you phone your nearest INZ Branch, explain the situation and check that you would be eligible - but I am pretty sure you would be fine. Assuming you had medicals, police checks etc. less than 36 months ago, you will only need INZ1015 and INZ1113 from your employer explaining that they can only offer you a one year contract. You can tell them you intend to leave the country at the end of that period. Cheers. Karen