Thread: transport between Christchurch and Wellington?

Default transport between Christchurch and Wellington?

I suddenly realized today that I had absolutely of how to get from Christchurch to Wellington - is there a commuter type plane or bus? What is the best choice? Is there an airline (or other transport company) you would recommend?

You see, since I've grown up driving on the wrong side of the road I'm not sure I'll be keen on doing the driving myself. But most of my job options are in one of these two cities and I don't want to limit myself just because I'm nervous about driving. Naturally my plan <hmm, isn't there a saying about "the best laid plans..."> is to schedule any interviews over a period of time in each city so hopefully I won't have to hop back and forth too many times.

If need be, I'll face the driving but any advise would be most appreciated.

Susan

I had to giggle over your comment about the driving. Since I'm from Nebraska, I absolutely understand. It's really not all that bad. I regularly drive to Hamilton, Tauranga, Whakatane, etc. from Rotorua. This is coming from someone who NEVER drove on the interstate. But then again, I think the South Island is a bit more mountainous than the North Island, at least in some places.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Michele

You can fly, about 45 minute flight, with Air NZ. Or you can get the train up to Picton and then the ferry. A good 5 hours from Christchurch to Picton and then 3 hours on the ferry. Have a look at tranzmetro and airnz websites to give you an idea of prices.

Thanks for the advise. Its further than I realized between the two cities - I guess understanding the scale of the country is another thing I need to get used to. Taking the train and cathing the ferry sounds like a good solution and one that'll give me a chance to see some of the area.

Michelle, I'm relieved to hear that a "reformed" American can learn to drive in NZ - I'm glad I gave you a smile! I realize how odd some of my questions must be to someone who has been there a while - but, hey, thats the great part about this forum!

Susan

I highly reccomend the train and ferry option. The train ride is quite pretty and the ferry drops you right in the center of Wellington. Then again, I hate to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Going2NZ
    Thanks for the advise. Its further than I realized between the two cities - I guess understanding the scale of the country is another thing I need to get used to. Taking the train and cathing the ferry sounds like a good solution and one that'll give me a chance to see some of the area.

Michelle, I'm relieved to hear that a "reformed" American can learn to drive in NZ - I'm glad I gave you a smile! I realize how odd some of my questions must be to someone who has been there a while - but, hey, thats the great part about this forum!

Susan
    The scale, in my opinion, is an important thing to consider on the south island. It takes a little longer than you would think to get through the mountains. I think the train would be a great option, because like tigerlily, I hate flying.

I needed that smile at the time. No one told me how difficult it would be to raise a pre-teen/teen after I moved her to another country. I haven't come across an over-the-top odd question on this forum. They are out there in other places though. That's why this is such a great forum. Plenty of helpful people.

michele

Susan

My husband is going over on 21Oct for 3 weeks of interviews in Auckland, Christchurch (weekend in Nelson with my family), Wellington and then back to Auckland. As time is a bit of an issue, and the train prices are virtually the same, were booking him on Air New Zealand internal flights $446 total for above 4 flights, which we thought was very reasonable.

Another domestic airline to consider is Origin Pacific, who fly to many of the smaller locations too. Enjoy the planning!

Babette