Thread: Average Salary

Default Average Salary

Hi all,

what will be the expected average salary should be there for 3 family members? I don't want a high standard of living. It will be normal. Will earning 70k including 33% tax deduction be fine ?

on an average how much one should earn to live comfortably and what will be the minimun cost to buy a house on average in Auckland / wallignton ?

70k after taxes should be enough for a family of three in Auckland.The biggest chunk goes in rent (say approx. $450 pw in this case). Rest is groceries and utilities, which varies based on consumption.

You can find the prices of houses to buy online, for example on trademe.co.nz or realestate.co.nz.

Good benchmarks for pre-tax income are $75k in Wellington and $85k for Auckland, assuming $450pw for rent.

It will be remarkably more expensive to buy a house in Auckland than in Wellington unless you are arriving with a large deposit. I wouldn't worry about that for the moment as the goal is to find a job first and probably rental accommodations for a few months. Bank websites like Westpac/ASB/ANZ have mortgage calculators which help you to determine the amount of funds needed for the deposit, repayment schedule, what you need to earn etc in order to afford the house you are interested in buying.

Thanks guys !!
    One more question - how much funds should I will have before coming to NZ (Auckland/Wallington)
    e.g what will I say if Co asks ' How will you support yourselves? '
    Last edited by Nicks; 23rd October 2013 at 06:05 PM.

To further help you this hays guide gives you an idea of the salaries you can expect for the work you do

http://www1.hays.com.au/salary/outpu...2013-AU_it.pdf

Hi Nicky,

My husband and I spend $500 to $600 on groceries , $130 on water/electricity, $1650 on mortgage (you can rent a house from $350 per week), around $400 on petrol + small extras and a bit of money to have a fun.

I'd suggest you come with enough money to keep your family on going for 3 to 6 months. Of course it depends on whether you will come with a job or arrive and then look for a job.

You can buy a house on South Auckland from $320,000, West Auckland from $350,000 and North Shore from $450,000. Banks lend with 5% deposit but they prefer 20% deposit or more. I'd suggest you to come and rent for a while, then buy a house in the area you like and can afford. Talk to me when you arrive and I can help you on that, I'm a real estate agent and I can give you the contact of some brokers, they can help you to sort out your finances to buy a property.

Good Luck on your move, New Zealand is an amazing place to live

Definately rent first, it takes a while to find your feet in a new country, it took us about 3 yrs before we settled on an area and could afford to buy there.