Thread: What appliances can I bring?

Default What appliances can I bring?

I know some of this was covered in another thread, but my question kind of got lost in there unanswered.

I know that American refrigerators will work over there - if you have the space. I was wondering if a freezer chest would as well.
    Last edited by iluvmykiwi; 8th November 2013 at 05:47 PM.

This long thread has some good info: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=591

In a nutshell, a freezer should work.

In general, I'd only go with a fridge (or freezer) that one would use in a garage or somewhere similar. Mixers and blenders might work, but both may rely on line freq, so performance may vary. Everything else, I'd definitely buy in NZ.

Are US freezers not 120VAC? If they are, they won't work without a transformer.

Awesome. We still haven't decided if we would bring it yet or not, but my husband really wants to bring our freezer chest with us. I did hear that blenders can sometimes not work as efficiently. That's left me in a dilemma about my Nutribullet that I use every day.

I would think a chest freezer would be relatively easy to find in NZ, although not sure about price. I guess if you don't mind the transformer hassles then not a big deal. I would think most people would replace appliances on transformers through attrition, i.e. as they failed.

We have a vitamix, which gets used all the time. I was looking for a dual voltage model, but they only make either 120VAC or 220VAC, but not a combo model.

We just bought a medium sized chest freezer for $450 if that helps? Got it from The Good Guys website and they delivered it for free too. Bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Are US freezers not 120VAC? If they are, they won't work without a transformer.
    I thought the only US appliance that ran on 220 was a dryer, so a fridge or freezer would have to run off a transformer.

I'm going to have to check out the voltage now. Don't think we're going to try and bring it either way though. We decided we really could do with the money it'd bring us.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi. View Post
    I thought the only US appliance that ran on 220 was a dryer, so a fridge or freezer would have to run off a transformer.
    My thoughts too.

Yes, you will definitely need transformers to use USA appliances here in NZ. 110V kitchen appliances won't work on 230/240V systems here. You can get larger style fridges and freezers but be prepared to pay premium prices for whiteware goods. Pays to shop around online for an idea of prices before you commit either way. I'm sure you can find other things to fill your container otherwise