Thread: Why move to New Zealand?

Default Why move to New Zealand?

Hi
    So myself and my husband had a taster of New Zealand last year, we had such and an adventure the country was so beautiful and even though I was home sick I knew that I was so lucky to have had the opportunity to go!
    Now that we are back in the UK and expecting our first child . I find myself missing New Zealand curiously looking at properties and jobs here and there! Thing is if we went back we would need to go on a permanent VISA and it would need to be at least a 5 year commitment for us to up sticks and go this time. Question I find myself asking is was it amazing last time because we were on an adventure and knew we were coming home after a year with no commitments? Was it amazing enough to leave my family for such a long time and commit to a full on lifestyle there? My biggest fear is that it was the buzz of the adventure that I was drawn to and this time after a few months after I have unpacked and got into a job after a will it just be a big panic and feel like a huge mistake?

I was wondering if anyone else had found themselves asking the same questions and how they came to their decision to finally make the brave move and relocate? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi Mrs G. Not sure if this is any help, but as a coach, I have worked with a few people who are thinking of emigrating but not sure if they are quite ready. I suggest you find a quiet place and time with no pressure and record the key points of your answers. You and your husband could do this separately and then compare responses. Hope it helps! http://www.workstudylivenewzealand.c...the-plunge.pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi Mrs G. Not sure if this is any help, but as a coach, I have worked with a few people who are thinking of emigrating but not sure if they are quite ready. I suggest you find a quiet place and time with no pressure and record the key points of your answers. You and your husband could do this separately and then compare responses. Hope it helps! http://www.workstudylivenewzealand.c...the-plunge.pdf.
    Thanks Karen, much appreciated that really is helpful! I am going to take my time and complete this and go from there! Thanks

I recognize that feeling.

I often ask myself how to make the final decision, when am I sure that this is what I want (or what we want).
    Truth is, the longer I think about it I think you can only find out by doing it and learn from experience if it was the right thing to do or not.

Karen thank you for that helpful file. I'm sure it will help us.

Having recently retuned from a fun year working in NZ, I definitely see where you are coming from. We wonder if we can take some of the positives from our year in NZ and apply then to something closer to home... Or maybe seek another adventure somewhere else. Returning to nz is definitely on the table, but I think for us putting a bit more time into deciding the next step will help. I think we could have made it work has we stayed (which was not really a practical option at the time), but making a second move is a bigger commitment and thus less likely. There also would be a bit less mystery and excitement and it would be a more reasoneded move, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by tk1; 12th November 2013 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post

Hi Karen
    We are looking at this too.

Thanks

Steve

We came on 2 reccie trips and have been here 2 1/2 years and have NO regrets. No going back to US or UK for us!!

I made the move from the UK 7 years ago and haven't looked back. No that everything is perfect over here, I agree with previous comments about NZ being an expensive country to live in but I was tired of the grey, urban environment and the long dark winters. This place just seems to fit me better. And Wellington has been great for my children. I often wonder what they would have grown up like if we had stayed in Glasgow. Would they be the same, or different.
    I spent a long time wondering whether to make the move and in the end just decided to sell up and hope for the best, and we were lucky enough to find work. I can understand others hesitation about taking the plunge, I think you just have to find out as much as you can about NZ and ask yourself what it is about where you are just now that makes you want to leave. Good luck with your decisions whatever they are.