Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living in NZ

Default Cost of living in NZ

Hi,
    We are a family of 3 planning to move to NZ. One of us has a job offer, 130 kNZD/year pre-tax. We'd be living in the Christchuch area. What kind of living standard can you afford on this income? What income do you need to have your own home?
    Thanks for any info!
    /Alf

You should be quite comfortable on that salary for a family of 3. It is far more than the average NZ family income, so you'll be better off than the average kiwi.
    A lot depends though on what sort of mortgage you're wanting. Whether you have a decent deposit for a house etc etc. Of course, the higher your mortgage, the more it will eat into your disposable income.
    Good luck for your trip!

You'll live far better than the average kiwi, and you'll have more disposable income than you would on a comparable salary in Sweden. The tax rate is much lower.

In the meantime, please tell your employer I would be glad to take one of those $130k jobs off their hands.

$130K eh! It must be the city council or the district health board not many others paying that sort of money.

@mylesdw

Agree with you

Congratulations! Make sure you also negotiate as much as possible in relocation expenses. (Visas, flights, removal costs etc) Are you at the university?

Congratulations!

We have been living on around $54K in Auckland for a family of four and have been struggling. We own our own home, but it was bought before I went on maternity leave (before that we were on just over $100k between the 2 of us and comfortable).
    We are just moving to Wellington, buying a 5 bed house about 45mins out from the city and hubby will be on $70k. We will be comfortable again I don't know much about Chch, but you should be fine on that and be able to get a nice house!

hi AlfC, i'm just curious what's your profession if you don't mind?

It all depends on the mortgage payment and the life style. Even with no mortgage, $130k will not fund anything like a life of luxury. I suggest building a draft budget. There are many past threads that would assist with that particular effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozeman View Post
    It all depends on the mortgage payment and the life style. Even with no mortgage, $130k will not fund anything like a life of luxury. I suggest building a draft budget. There are many past threads that would assist with that particular effort.
    I wonder what you call a life of luxury, @ $130.000 a year & no mortgage !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast