Thread: How much money do I need for settlement

Default How much money do I need for settlement

Hi guys
    I hope I find you well guys, I will be relocating to Tauranga at the beginning of 2014 on a work to residencr visa. I will be receiving a relocation allowance of $8000 upon arrival and starting work, getting paid fortnightly. We are a family of 4, wie has no work as yet but holds a work visa, a primary school child and an infant.
    I need to know how much available funds do we need to get started, would like to rent a 2 bedroom house/apartment send our child to school and 2 week car hire before buying our own affordable on credit.

I will appreciate your responses.

Hi! Tauranga is my favourite city in NZ, so all further comment is totally biased! Exactly where you choose to live will depend on where your job is and whether your wife will be dependent on public transport. I guess you will also be keen to find an area within a good school zone. Rents vary between different areas so if you say a little more about exactly where you need to be living, I will pass on some links and ideas of costs and schools. I even know an honest car dealer who I trust - I know, amazing - car dealers get a worse press than Licensed immigration Advisers!

Thanx Karen, will await the links and hope will get the positive assistance.

We get by as a family of four on $1000/week and thats living OK, some wine, nice food, clothes for the kids, two vehicles

Have a look at rentals on Trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...lenty/tauranga

So where exactly will you be working (which suburb?)? Car dealer is http://www.bryce4cars.co.nz/ - on Cameron Road in Greerton.

@Beachcombers thanks a lot, I got job offer by acreditted employer so need rough idear of how I will need for the first month etc. I appreciate the links, will go through them.
    @Karen thanx, am not actually sure which surbab really & since you are biased to Tauranga you can recommend some areas...lol

I can recommend suburbs, but it depends on what you like. Do you want to be near shops and restaurants, in a quiet area, in Tauranga itself or across the bridge in Mount Maunganui or Papamoa, near the beach? How far are you willing to commute each day? If I know the location of your employment, I can offer my opinion based on traffic flow, bus routes, schooling etc.

Hi,
    I should think that would be Ok, without going mad!
    When you rent remember the bond, so you'll be paying 2-4 weeks bond on top of 1 or 2 weeks rent in advance, so that's easily 1500 - 3000 in these parts, don't know rental prices in your area.
    One area we've saved money is on car hire, 1st my partner's company paid for some - this that an avenue you can explore?
    Then we went car shopping a few weekends back, selected the one we want and put a deposit down. As we don't have our house sale funds yet to pay for the car the garage has lent us a run-around. If you can make a quick decision on the type of car yoou'd like you may find a dealer happy to help you out!