Thread: Medical notes

Default Medical notes

We are about to make appointments for our medicals (UK) and although I know we have to take passport size pictures, list of medications and glasses, it also states medical notes.

Do I just request them from my GP and take them. OR request that my GP sends them to the doctor who is carrying the medicals out?

Thanks

Hi. I don't think you need everything - just a list of all medications with dosage and mention of any key illnesses, vaccination records, etc. If you ask your GP they should be able to provide you with a summary - I don't remember having to provide much in the way of notes. Might be worth a quick call to the Panel doctor to determine what they will need.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. I don't think you need everything - just a list of all medications with dosage and mention of any key illnesses, vaccination records, etc. If you ask your GP they should be able to provide you with a summary - I don't remember having to provide much in the way of notes. Might be worth a quick call to the Panel doctor to determine what they will need.
    Thanks, the Panel doctors are calling us tomorrow to make appointments so I will ask then. Cheers again.

It may depend on the panel doctor. We spoke to the two local ones to us in the UK and they had a very different approach.

One wanted almost full medical information ahead of the appointment, the second one said to just said to go along with the forms, photos and a note of the information.

We chose the second one due to time factor as they could see us the same day and do the blood tests at the same time and have the results back in 2 days. The first one would have involved two appointments, one for the medical and the second for blood tests and a two week wait for the blood results,(after waiting two weeks for the appointment), then the xrays on top of that time delay too. What could have been a total of 4-5 weeks before we had the full information. In the end we had everything done, including xrays, and signed off within 4 days. I think it cost us no moe than £15 each to use the second doctor.

I also felt the first doctors didn't really want my business.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post
    It may depend on the panel doctor. We spoke to the two local ones to us in the UK and they had a very different approach.

One wanted almost full medical information ahead of the appointment, the second one said to just said to go along with the forms, photos and a note of the information.

We chose the second one due to time factor as they could see us the same day and do the blood tests at the same time and have the results back in 2 days. The first one would have involved two appointments, one for the medical and the second for blood tests and a two week wait for the blood results,(after waiting two weeks for the appointment), then the xrays on top of that time delay too. What could have been a total of 4-5 weeks before we had the full information. In the end we had everything done, including xrays, and signed off within 4 days. I think it cost us no moe than £15 each to use the second doctor.

I also felt the first doctors didn't really want my business.
    £15!? Really. Oh my goodness. Ours is costing £532 for medicals and bloods, and a further £200 for Xrays! We cannot get an appointment until the 3rd week in December also.

Sorry, re-read my post - £15 extra each between the cost of the two options. It cost us a total of £810 for both of us for medicals/blood tests and xrays.

..did you try any of the other panel doctors in Scotland for a cpmparison and appointment availability? It can be worth a day out!

Yes indeed - it's really worth shopping around. I remember from several years ago, a forum member who found it was worth travelling right out of their own region to have their medical done, even counting in paying the travel and two nights' B&B.