Thread: Lot of stuff happend, still in Europe, but wait two weeks!

Default Lot of stuff happend, still in Europe, but wait two weeks!

Hello,

after following this forum for half a year I think I should provide some experience to the community too. We thought about moving temporarily (For half a year) to NZ in December 2012 and this what happened until now:

Luckily a colleague of mine knows somebody in NZ who could be interested in hiring me. (I work in health care). That was the way the first contact was made with an employer.
    After sending some mails up and down with CV, documents and references, I actually got a job offer in April 2013, starting in December 2013 running for 8 months. This was more than I have asked for, so I renegotiated it down to 7 months. Notably they have not talked to me on the wphone the whole time, just mailing and they got the reference from my boss and a colleague.
    While I waited for an job offer I took the IELTS test as I knew this was a prerequisite to get a licence. It was good that I used some time preparing the test, you can not really fail, but if your marks are below the required knowledge level, you have to do it again (which cost extra money) but I made it in the first shot.

With the letter of offer we (my wife, 2 kids and me) applied for Visa at the London branch. I was in a good mood since I applied very early in the process, so I thought when there are be problems, I have plenty of time to fix it. We applied for a 8 months Visa, so no medical checks needed, I think that speed up the process. After one phone call (they changed the visitor Visa from my wife to working Visa) and 6 weeks waiting, we got our passports back in August with the Visa sticker. Yay! But I think the Visa were very expensive. Well, I see it as an investment in experience.
    Now there was no way back. We immediately booked the flights for the whole family and I informed my boss (she was informed the whole way and gave me a sabbatical).
    But how to transform my whole family to NZ without a place to live, no car, no bank account, nothing?
    Thanks for the internet (And this forum. And trademe)

Already in August we managed to find a rental agency that could rent us a car long-term for 18$ a day. A bargain compared to the car prices in Norway! But since everyone I talked/wrote with said that the public transportation system is horrible in NZ (We are moving to Hawke's Bay) we probably will buy a second wreck car via trademe and sell it afterwards.

Luckily we know somebody in Auckland who will shelter us the first three days to get rid of the jet lag. At the same time I can activate my bank account that is already opened through internet from Norway. Fascinating! I am using WestPac, they have an immigration offer, I could open an account, get a number an can even transfer money to it, but I can not use it before they have seen me and my passport in personal. So I scheduled an appointment with a random WestPac bank in Auckland the day after arrival. There they have already my bank card ready for me. So I just have to walk into the bank with my passport, pick up my card and can use my account. I will tell you if it really work like this, but in my ears , this is fantastic. I also have a meeting with a representative from the medical council who have to approve all my papers, and then I will (hopefully) get my NZ licence.

At Hawke's Bay we rented a holiday home for the first two weeks to give us a buffer finding a place to live. (Thank you trademe!) Thanks to some tips here in the forum we could negotiate a bargain price for the place and even got the last day for free.
    Finding a place to live: The challenge is that there are very few funished houses to rent, but we are planning to move back after 7 months and do not want to buy all furniture and kitchen appliances just to have to sell them half a year later. Additionally: I will work from the day we arrive at Hawke's Bay and my wife will take care of the kids and does not want to drive around to organize all that stuff. But we will se what is going to happen, we can not organize everything from abroad and need some spice in our lives.

Child Care: We wrote to five different child cares and got a reply from four of them. All of them sounded very positive so we just sent an application for our oldest one to the one we liked best, now we waiting for a reply. They said that we probably/maybe get a slot in January. Compared to Norway, where you only can start once a year (in August), this sounded great.

In Norway we sold our car and rent out our apartment for the time we are abroad. So there is no way back before August 2014. We are sitting now more or less on our suitcases and waiting for the day we are leaving for NZ (two more weeks).

Retrospectively I was surprised how much money we spent for the whole process but still sitting in Europe: VISA + postal sending of the passports, Medical licence approval, IELTS, flight, Suitcases (we had none), car rental Auckland-Napier, Long time car-rental Napier, 2 week holiday home, real estate agent in Norway to organize tenants for my place here. I was prepared to invest some money, but this was far more than I thought. However, as I wrote already, this is more an investment in my experience and my family. We are really looking forward to make the move soon and I will keep you updated.

Cheers!

Good luck Grep! Hope everything goes well with the move! We found that moving during the summer was perfect, especially when coming from the cold north!

Fantastic! Have a wonderful time, what an adventure for your family. We had to buy suitcases as well!

Thanks for sharing the experience. Have a great time!

What you said about buying cases reminded me. On both my first two visits to NZ, a suitcase I was using (which had been absolutely fine till that point) broke, just before check-in at Heathrow Airport. Fortunately, check-in keeps large rolls of very strong adhesive tape, bright orange in colour, so a) I didn't lose anything out of my luggage, and b) I didn't have any trouble finding my suitcase on the carousel at AKL! For the first trip, I had had two bags but didn't need two for the way home, so that was okay. The second time, I had to get another case for my return trip, so I now have a much better quality, one, bought in Auckland, where I watched my son haggle the price down to less than half what was marked.

Sounds like you've organised everything! Hope it all goes to plan and you all get lots from the experience

Sounds like you have crossed the t's and dotted the i's. Good luck and enjoy Hawke's Bay. We've been having some real summer weather of late but since Monday we are back to much cooler days, but only till the weekend, here's hoping.

Welcome to Hawke's Bay! Are you going to be working at the hospital?

Yes JandM, marking of the suitcases might be a good idea! After flying for 32 hours i might have forgotten how they look like.

Fern49, what is "cooler days" in your eyes? It may not beat Norway in November but maybe you can give me a hint what clothing to pack for Hawke's Bay. I read that the average temperature there is 15 degree C in winter? This is my summer here.... So I thought leaving my heavy wool sweaters at home.

72andsunny: Yes, I will work as a doctor at the hospital. Probably live in Napier somewhere and commuting to Hastings.

Yes JandM, marking of the suitcases might be a good idea! After flying for 32 hours i might have forgotten how they look like. :
    The orange tape was extreme (!), but having SOMETHING original to see from a distance is good - I've got a bright-coloured strap to go round, but I've seen a bag with purple ribbon looped on the handle for a cheap version.

On my first trip, I had my mother, in her eighties, with me, so obviously I was looking to grab her bag as well as mine, while she stood back with the trolley. 'What colour's your bag, Mum?' I said. 'Navy blue,' she said. Then, as I got right up to the belt, 'Or black. Or dark green. Or sort of grey. One of those colours like that.' And have you noticed? - there are ALWAYS people with similar memory problems standing three-deep in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grep View Post
    72andsunny: Yes, I will work as a doctor at the hospital. Probably live in Napier somewhere and commuting to Hastings.
    Carpool!!!