Thread: work limit in summer for student visa

Default work limit in summer for student visa

hi am on student visa doing lvl 7 grad diploma but cmpltd my course by October ending and now i want to work more hours but am concerned whether an international student can work how many hours to the maximum in summer holding student visa ?? can i work more than 40 hrs/week

See under the Working while studying section here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...outvisas/#work There appears not to be any limit on the hours per week you can work during the summer vacation, but you need to check that your visa gives you the right to work, and get that right added on if not.

Default work limit for student visa - 1 year program

Dear everyone,

My situation is quite similar so I would like to ask on this thread. Would you please help.

On my student visa:
    - Visa Expiry: 31-Mar-2015
    - Conditions: When entering NZ, stay is subject to grant of entry permission. ....... The holder may work full-time during the summer vacation.

In fact my academic year will end by Nov-2014, and it is 1 year Master program. So my questions are:
    - Can I really stay until 31-Mar-2015 on this student visa or the "grant of entry permission" will eventually reduce it?

If I can really stay until 31-Mar with the student visa then:
    - Can the duration from Dec-2014 to Mar-2015 be considered as summer vacation in my case?
    - Suppose if I get a job offer by Dec-2014, can I start to work right away then take time to either apply for work visa or update my situation with case officer (assuming I am under SMC visa application process at that time) to get the result?

I looked at the link JandM gave, but I am still not sure how the law will apply on my case.

Many thanks for your help!

Hi
    All student visas are valid for several months after the end of the course to allow time for results, possible resits etc. Yes, you can work full-time during this final period. You can also apply for your Graduate job Search Visa during this time - in fact, if you want one of these, your must apply for it within 3 months of hearing you have passed! The rules are changing in January 2014 to allow students to work full-time in all vacations and to remove the need for a Variation of Conditions to allow work, but I am not sure f they will apply retrospectively. Hope this helps. Karen

Thank you very much Karen. I got my visa on 29 Nov and the condition is still written as summer vacation, not all scheduled breaks. But that is fine for me as long as the few months after academic year shall be considered as summer vacation