Thread: Residency via my Kiwi girlfriend (Bless her)

Default Residency via my Kiwi girlfriend (Bless her)

Hi to everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster..

I'll cut my life story short and not bore you, and get straight to the hard hitting stuff:

I am currently on a WHV partner visa from my ever loving girlfriend, and we have just passed the 12 month line so i would like to apply for residency.

The thing is, do i now have to resubmit everything again for this new visa and get a new Medical and X-Ray? I.e letters outlining our relationship, photos etc?

Another thing to contend with is that she has just been offered a job in Wellington that she is going to take, but for the summer i will be staying back in Queenstown with my job at AirNZ, therefore not living together. In a side note to this, i get heavily discounted flights so we will be seeing each other on days off. And in terms of no tenancy together, we do have finance on a car and joint accounts etc.

So any advice or tips would be great!

Oh and she is moving to wellington at the end of January!

Hello.

You probably won't have to send EVERYTHING all over again. Regulations about medicals here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46161.htm And police certificates here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41439.htm

About partnership proof, you'd better check with INZ how much is on file and how much extra they will need. My guess is they will be mostly concerned with filling the gap between when your partner-sponsored work permit was granted, and now, when you're applying for residence - they generally concentrate on the most recent 12 months, as, after all, they're wanting to facilitate a relationship which is in being, and not give a visa to someone who's split from their Kiwi partner.

If you're putting your application in right away, the last 12 months will show up as settled life together, won't they? And over this next few weeks/months while the application is being processed, remember to keep evidence of every possible means of contact between you, because it's likely the CO will ask you for some more partnership proof just before your Residence visa is granted - again, to prove that you're still a couple, right up to the time of issue. When your partner moves to Wellington, if you can, collect evidence that THAT is your home (regardless of your job taking you to Australia temporarily). Get official letters sent through the post to you there, and save the envelopes, for instance.

All the best.

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I should have mentioned that I'll be in Queenstown NZ, so still near her! I think the best thing to do is pop in to my local INZ and check with them then!

Am i right to believe that it's $920 minus the money i paid for my current visa? Or am i being stupidly ignorant here?

Doh... how did I make 'Queenstown' into 'Australia'?!

I don't know about the cost. Karen Phillips, who is often around on the threads, is probably the person who will have this knowledge at her fingertips.

Each application is separate, so while INZ can reuse relevant evidence form previous applications; each application fee relates to that application.
    Therefore the fees paid for an earlier application do not usually come off the application fee for a later application.

thanks guys!