Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacher moving between schools - paid over summer????

Default Teacher moving between schools - paid over summer????

Hi all,

it's been wayyyy too long and I'm already well overdue my 2 year post unbelievably. However, I had a question, and knew nowhere better to ask.

Mrs G, as some of you will be aware is a Primary teacher. She's just made an advancement towards our long term plan and landed a new job round the corner from home on the Shore. Great news!!

So, the question is - when a teacher leaves at the end of term 4, to start at a new school at the start of term 1 - do they get paid over the summer holidays? And if so, by which school?

Thank you all - and it's great to see the forum going so strong. Must begin spending more time here again
    Cheers.

Hello again. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

http://ppta.org.nz/index.php/collect...-four?start=10 This is the most relevant thing I've come across, which doesn't actually explain about leaving at end of year.

Surely you get paid from your previous school as they employ you up to the new term............that's what happened in the UK maybe ask the school head teacher to clarify may be the simple solution.

It's not the same as the UK system, where your salary is spread over the whole year (up till just before the new school year begins), divided into 12 equal monthly payments - see that link I found. What you get at the end of the year in NZ depends on how much "holiday pay" you are due, which depends on what you may have had before.

Thanks JandM - that link is useful. Luckily I don't think she's taken much leave so should have a reasonably full entitlement - not sure whether that will last all summer though!

Any NZ teachers on here that have been through it and know would be great too.

Cheers.

Not a teacher but I do pay them (albeit for a private school).

If she has been working since the start of the school year then she should be entitled to be paid through the holidays. The new school would then take over her pay at the start of the new school year. Teaches don't typically take much leave outside of the school holidays, but if she has, her pay over the chistmas break may be reduced based on any additional paid leave she may have taken.

Thanks guys. From what we can work out, school is in for 40 weeks - holiday entitlement is 30% of that (=12weeks). So the holiday pay covers the remainder of the year - i.e. school holidays. Ergo - the current school should play through the summer holidays.

Which, granted, is essentially what kiwi said above

Cheers.

Hi,

I moved schools like this last year and I got a lump sum in December (rather than being paid every fortnight) to cover the holiday pay, which had to last until I got paid by the new school in Feb.

I've been told by Finance Administrator at my school that it depends on how long you have been working at the school.
    The longer you have worked there the more likely your pay continues after the end of Term 4
    The new school will only start paying when you have started to work for them
    And yes - system is nothing like UK

But then of course NZ has Novapay........................................... .................................................. ...

Everyone who has commented so far that, if you started at the beginning of the year you should get paid full holiday pay is correct. The only thing to bear in mind is that the summer holiday is the one defined by the Govt and not the schools that you work at which may have different years. So, as an example, I am a secondary teacher- if I changed schools finishing term 4 I would be paid up to 26th January. If my new school started 3rd Feb, I would not get any pay up to the 3rd.

Hope that makes sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast