Thread: $60K Auckland Enough for Family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 kids)

Default $60K Auckland Enough for Family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 kids)

As the title suggest, $60K Auckland Enough for Family of 4 ( 2 adults, 2 kids) ? Working in Parnell. What would be best place for accommodation considering schools, both primary and kinder garden?

Thanks

I would say that it would be a real struggle, to be honest. Parnell is a expensive neighbourhood as is the surrounding areas of Newmarket and Remuera.

Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0

for ideas on rents

Thanks. In that case what would be a good neighbourhood. From my research looks like commuting in auckland is bit of a hassle and public transport is very costly.

Quote Originally Posted by sundar View Post
    Thanks. In that case what would be a good neighbourhood. From my research looks like commuting in auckland is bit of a hassle and public transport is very costly.
    I think there's probably no other way but to commute, I can't see many properties in and around Parnell available for a budget like yours (this is assuming that the $60,000 is the only income). I don't know a lot about suburbs towards the Western side of Auckland, as I live on the Eastern side, but I think with small children, I would probably consider Ellerslie. There's a train or bus, and if you feel so inclined, could also cycle to work in Parnell. There's also St John's, and the new-ish suburb of Stonefields, less convenient for public transport, but with a school.

Daniela

I agree, it would be quite hard to live comfortably on 60k in Auckland, although you could survive, if you are really careful.

I live in Auckland cbd and know people with small children who rent apartments here and walk to work, cutting out the long commute time. Their children go to Parnell primary or Freeman's bay primary. The alternative would be living quite far out and having a long commute.

First time we came here my OH got a job with around 50Ks for family of 3 and that was hard enough in our experience.
    We didn't have much flash lifestyle but somehow was a bit hard with common expenses.

Hi there,
    You should be looking for renting St New Lynn area and can commute via train or bus.