Thread: Work Permit and worries...

Default Work Permit and worries...

Hi everyone,

I have a current little problem...

Ok I sum up briefly : I was on internship in NZ for my bachelor's degree in France for 4 months and found a job in NZ ( I was on WHV) in my field of work.

I did my work visa and all went well except that... last week for economical reasons my boss had to downsize and I lost my job.

I was granted a work visa stating on my passport : " You are entitled to work for (Company Name) in Hamilton until 2015"

I have still one month to work in my company and my boss and my colleagues are helping me actively to find another job in my field. But the question that remains is this :

- If in one month I haven't found any job, will my work permit be over? So I'd have to leave the country ? Or can I still look for jobs until november 2015? ( I have until february my working holiday visa so I can still stay here till february)
    - As I am entitled to Hamilton, can I still look out for the whole region of waikato or only hamilton?
    - My work visa is Essential Skills and I don't have 2 years experience in my field of work so I can only change one condition on my visa : Region or employer. I understand that but can I change several time the same condition? I mean if I get a full time job in a lab for few months because it's a period contract, can I still change after that the name of my next employer or can I just change on condition once?

I am really worried about all of that and that is not easy to find another job in my field of work in Hamilton...

Thanks if you can answer all my question.

Cheers
    Last edited by lordofming; 30th November 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Sorry to hear about this bad luck, and here's hoping your current boss and contacts help you to find another place soon.

The second and third questions here give some of the answers you need. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rk/default.htm

I don't know about your last query - I think you'd have to ask INZ about that. But there's not only the possibility of tweaking your existing work visa, as you could apply for an entirely new visa if you find a new job that entitles you.

In fact, in your place, I'd talk your whole situation over with INZ so you are SURE of your options. We on the forum are mainly members of the public whose knowledge comes from sharing what has happened (so there's a lot of past experience on the threads), and what is written in INZ rules. However, this is MAINLY about people's arrival in NZ - the first visa. A lot of people don't come back to the forum once they're settling into NZ life. I don't remember anyone talking us through what happened with a visa change like you're hoping to be able to do.

I do know from the regulations that, once the job named on your visa comes to an end, the visa also stops. INZ usually allows a person a bit of time to try to sort out their situation, but in principle, no visa means having to leave the country. If they regard your WHV as still running although you got the work visa on top of that, you may have some extra time, but that's something you should check with them.