Thread: After getting PR Can person studies part time

Default After getting PR Can person studies part time

Hi guys

I have a question after getting PR can a person immediately start studies part time while doing skilled job?. I heard from some sources that you have to wait 2 years or 3 years of PR and then you can start studying.

thanks in advance

Yes, you can start studying after your residence visa. However there are waiting time for sponsorship and study allowance/ government payment while studying . You can check department of labour website for waiting period details.

Do you mean, when you've got Residence, that is, if your application under SMC goes through successfully? You won't be eligible for PR, which is a different visa, until at least two years have passed. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Once you have Residence, you are entitled to do whatever you want with your life. You could drop out, have a job, become a student, or start a business. You don't become eligible for a student loan until two years after you get Residence, but you are immediately eligible to be a student at the domestic rate.

Yes I was talking about once my SMC application get successful then can I do full time work and part time studies?

Thanks Shawankit and JandM

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Do you mean, when you've got Residence, that is, if your application under SMC goes through successfully? You won't be eligible for PR, which is a different visa, until at least two years have passed. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Once you have Residence, you are entitled to do whatever you want with your life. You could drop out, have a job, become a student, or start a business. You don't become eligible for a student loan until two years after you get Residence, but you are immediately eligible to be a student at the domestic rate.
    Dear JandM,
    I want to ask you about (The domestic rate in NZ universities for resedence visa holders).....Is it true??? Because I checked that in Auckland University site.However, it says that the domestic rates are only for NZ,Australian citizens and permanent visa holder....please correct me.
    Louay

Most definitely yes, it is true - someone who has a residence visa can enrol at a university in NZ and pay domestic rates. See under 'Definition for tertiary' here. http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...icStudent.aspx

(You will find that some literature and websites have not had their wording changed since before the names of visas were changed in November, 2010, when the 2009 Act came into force, so you do sometimes still find confusing mentions of old visa names, although the regulations ARE now as mentioned above.