Thread: Temp Work Visa based on Partnership - first travel timeframe shock

Default Temp Work Visa based on Partnership - first travel timeframe shock

Hello everyone,

I've been a bit stopped in my tracks by some posts here recently regarding time frame to travel to nz once a partnership based work visa is granted.

I was under the impression on applying for this visa (lodged November 12th) that I would have 12 months to travel to NZ under this type of visa, as nothing on the INZ site suggested otherwise.

I am a teacher, and I have to give minimum of a term's notice before leaving my job. With only a 3 month time frame to sort out my life (as paua's posts suggest) that's going to mean I simply can't do that without some kind of extension from INZ. If I get the visa in the next few weeks, I legally cannot leave my job until April. I had planned to head across in August, after I have seen my students through their exams and results. I did look on here, but obviously not hard enough it would seem.

My questions are:

- how do I stop myself from panicking hugely about this?
    - how do I get an extension on legal grounds from INZ if this is the case (I am the only teacher of one subject in my school and it is an exam year for these students, as well as the one terms notice thing)? Would I have to provide a contract and some kind of letter from my boss?
    - what is the likelihood of them doing this, or will I have to submit a whole new application?

My partner now flies back to nz on Monday for Xmas, so I will be sorting this out uk side by myself. Any and all support would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You will just have to reapply for the visa again closer to your departure date.

Thanks G-Mo, really appreciate you getting back to me. I'm going to give the visa centre a call tomorrow. If the three months were to start from tomorrow, then I would need only three weeks extra if I left at Easter. My partner is behind the idea fully, it would just mean our lives in NZ would start a little sooner! I'm going to see what can be done. If it was any other job I'd be able to ditch it with a month's notice, but this is kind of different. If I had only known...famous last words!

Do you think they would keep my medical (done this November) on file or would I have to do another one of those? I have a verified photocopy of my last medical just in case of any issues.

Thanks again, this forum is amazing.

I know they will not extend, not even 24 hours, as my cousin recently went through this. Perhaps you can ask them to hold off on processing for a few weeks! I believe the medicals are good for either 24 or 36 months.

I managed to call INZ in London this morning, and I spoke to a really nice lady. She explained that yes, the temporary visa is a 3 months to enter deal, but that in extreme circumstances such as my own with a long legal notice period , it might be possible to put a slightly longer time frame on things. Because my case has not entered processing yet, she asked another case officer (sat near the one I have just been assigned to) if in my situation might be possible to extend it. He seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem, and a notice has been put on my file which will be entering processing in the next few days. They did add its not a guarantee, but that it will be taken into consideration.

To give you an idea on processing for things at the moment, I lodged my application through VAC with INZ mid November and it was just assigned a case officer this morning, who I now have an email address for. They get given piles of 40 cases at a time to work through, mine being from the 11th Nov onwards batch for this chap, so it might be a while before they get to my application anyway!

I also found out that the evidence I've sent in is of the right calibre, and the woman was very impressed when I discussed my colour coding of paperwork into documentation, financial interdependence proof, personal relationship proof and evidence from others. Anything that will make it easier for them, I thought.

Here's hoping. That was £36 well spent.

Well it looks like I've been approved for my work visa! I emailed the case officer direct as instructed by the phone lady, and he responded to day with a nice message. I also got a notification to check my online status and it says...

'EXPIRY DATE TRAVEL: June 12th 2014' with "Visa valid from 24 months of first arrival. This visa expires 24 months after first arrival."

Does that mean they listened to me?

If so, it's party time in my household.

For anyone going through this right now, here are the things I sent INZ in London. I used a black A4 polypocket folder with my passport number, name and visa type recorded on the front, and put a numbered index at the front, alongside reminder pages detailing what was in each section. Each section was colour coded with little stickers, with a guide sticker placed in the relevant section both on the index page and the reminder page, as well as the pages for that section.

The documents I sent to have this approved (named in these sections in the booklet) were:

Inside envelope:

VAC Checklist
    VAC Payment form
    Chest X-Ray Film
    Passport

Inside polypocket folder:

INDEX PAGE

INTRODUCTION:

- Letter in support of application from me. (full page)
    - Letter in support of application from my partner. (full page)

IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTATION:

- My visa application form INZ 1198 with photos attached with paperclips
    - Medical form INZ 1008, Laboratory Referral Form INZ 1007 and X-Ray Form INZ 1096 (General not limited medical certificate - they said it didn't matter if I sent the wrong one when my doctors called) with all relevant signatures, photos attached
    - ACPO Police Certificate
    - My partner's support form INZ 1146 with a legally certified copy of partner's passport and business card of legal certifier
    - Chest X-Ray Film (I sent the whole application in the Chest X-Ray envelope, seemed easier to!)

PROOF OF FINANCIAL DEPENDENCE:

- Tenancy agreement in both our names
    - Council tax bill in both our names for the last 2 years
    - Welcome letter from water company on moving in
    - Copy of most recent water bill to show longevity in housing situation
    - Parking permit in both of our names with confirmation letters for both years
    - Copy of car insurance certificate with my partner named on a family vehicle
    - Statement of fact for home contents insurance declaring my partner lives with me
    - Copies of bank receipts showing me paying my part of the rent into my partner's account
    - An addressed letter from the bank showing my partner's bank details and direct debit agreement with our landlord

EVIDENCE OF CONTACT BETWEEN APPLICANT AND SUPPORTING PARTNER:

- Screen grab of an average amount of Skype communication per day
    - Screen grabs of email conversations from the last 2 years
    - Postcards from my partner to our home address
    - Four silly notes left for my partner in our house

EVIDENCE OF TIME SPENT TOGETHER AND SOCIAL PROOF OF PARTNERSHIP:

- A series of 10 Facebook screen grabs (dated) from when we met in NZ until very recently
    - Housewarming card from a work colleague to us when we moved in together
    - A wedding invitation to the both of us
    - Three Christmas cards from friends jointly addressed to us
    - Ferry booking confirmation along with cabin key cards as proof we took the holiday
    - Letters in support of application from my mother, partner's mother and ex-landlord/trusted friend

Honestly, I am a teacher...but I consider this the largest admin-related undertaking of my life! I did it myself, in under 2 weeks.

Congratulations!

Wow - thank you! I feel honoured to get that from an admin here. This forum has been such a resource for me and the countless others. It's cost so much less doing it myself and I feel like I've really accomplished something. My partner and I reckon it's all to do with the colour coding I have been collecting evidence from day one in case something like this came up, keep a folder of random couple-y stuff...it will come in handy.

I just got an email back from my CO in the evening time, outside working hours confirming that I am right in my suspicions. I have 6 months to get my tail on a plane to NZ. Chance of a lifetime!