Thread: Do I need to register with the Teaching Council?

Default Do I need to register with the Teaching Council?

I sent my teaching certificate off to be assessed and have had a reply saying all is OK. Is anyone able to tell me if I have to do anything further, like register with the NZ Teaching Council?

If you want to be employed as a teacher- then yes.
    I am not sure though ,if you are a NQT that they will reigster you. I think you might have to have at least 2 years of teaching experiance in the UK.
    Good luck. I am sure your dream will come true.
    Chips

Hi,

Yes, you do. Here's a summary of the process from the Teach NZ website (http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/):

1. Have your qualifications assessed
    Your qualifications must be assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. You will need to provide certified copies or originals of all documentation. This process involves producing evidence of teacher education in the form of degree or diploma. A statement of equivalency with New Zealand qualifications is made available to you to provide to the Teachers Council. These things take some time to complete and there is a cost involved. Check www.nzqa.govt.nz. An NZQA equivalency statement is also required to ensure that teachers receive the correct salary. When you start teaching you will be paid as a beginning teacher until the NZQA statement is received.

2. Register with the Teachers Council
    All teachers at primary and secondary level in New Zealand must be registered with the Teachers Council. You will need to provide them with your NZQA assessment report and other documentation. An application form for this is on www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz. Overseas teachers must also display a high level of proficiency in oral and written English by achieving a test. You will need to produce a certificate or results sheet as part of your application. Citizens of some countries such as UK, Canada and USA are exempt from this requirement. A full list of countries that are exempt is included with the application form for registration.

3. Apply for a job
    Once registration is completed teachers are free to apply for any teaching position in New Zealand. All vacancies are advertised in the official publication The New Zealand Education Gazette. This is also available on-line at www.edgazette.govt.nz. In New Zealand, schools are responsible for employing their own staff. There is no central staffing agency and no government department responsible for staff placement. All applications should be made therefore, to the employing school. Work through approved teacher recruitment agents. They will help you with the assessment, registration, immigration and application processes.

4. Get a work permit
    The final step is to obtain a work permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service. This can be a bit difficult for primary teachers as the only shortage of teachers is in the Auckland region. For secondary teachers it is a lot easier as, currently, a secondary teacher only has to produce evidence of registration and a letter of a job offer in order to get a work permit.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Debbie,

That is sound advice.
    Your information has helped me greatly.
    With the work permit are these only valid for 2/3 years, during this time you can apply for a PR is this correct?

Thanks for the info The missus is a teacher, and teacher registration is one of the items of the process we haven't completed yet.

Regarding how long the work permit lasts, think it's 2 years, but I'm not sure. I only know the other stuff because my husband's a teacher and at the same stage.

Also, does anyone know whether NZQA and Teacher's Registration last for life or would you have to renew it if you didn't move to NZ within a certain time?

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie P.

Also, does anyone know whether NZQA and Teacher's Registration last for life or would you have to renew it if you didn't move to NZ within a certain time?

Debbie
    Have a look on:

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/r...ncellation.stm

Provisional registration lasts 5 years, registration subject to confirmation lasts 3 years and once a teacher is given the practising certificate, then that lasts for 3 years before renewal. To be renewed the teacher must have taught for 2 out the previous 5 years.