Thread: Is part-time work allowed with a WTR visa?

Smile Is part-time work allowed with a WTR visa?

Hi everybody, I have been in NZ only 3 weeks, with a WTR visa as an engineer. I have been asked by my landlady, a pastry chef, if I could do some part-time shifts as a waiter, in the catering company she works for, once she heard that I have quite a long experience in catering.
    I think that some time ago I read in previous posts that I could do it, but I just want to double-check.
    Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

You might have to check two things here-

1. Existing Employment contract allowing other 'gainful' employment (part-time or otherwise)

2. WTR Visa conditions- If it is 'Accredited Employer', you are tied to that particular employer and cannot work anywhere else. If other category, check point 1.

Maybe also check with INZ. It's possible you might be able to vary your conditions.

Hi guys, I owe so much to this forum, that I feel I have to give something back...I hope it can be interesting for someone else.
    I called INZ and they told me that I have to ask for a letter to my full-time (and "sponsor") employer in which he states that he has no objections if I work part-time for another company, then I need a letter from the other (part-time) employer which says as well that he has no objections that I have another job. Both letters must be submitted to the INZ, to apply, as JandM rightly suggested, for a "variation of conditions".
    Cheers!

Thanks very much for the update - this may very well help someone else.