Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk tea

Default Let's talk tea

Coming from America, were morning coffee is the norm, I would like to know more about how to do teatime.

What time do you do tea?
    What types of tea are acceptable?
    Do you make a pot or do you stick tea bags in each person's mug? Or do I have to use china?
    What does one eat with tea? Does it need to be sweet? Or does it need to be those little sandwiches with no crust and an unidentifiable substance inside?
    How is it done at an office, compared to at home on Sunday?
    Compare and contrast English teatime with Kiwi teatime.

Can you tell that I am a former school teacher?

Wow
    tigerlilly are you a virgo by any chance!!

I just stick a teabag in my mug and take it from there. I have to say the I have more than just one cuppa in a morning more like 3-4 taken anytime am not just at set times.

Jo

In our house 'teatime' is about 5.30 pm and not a 'pg tip' in sight, this is feeding time at the ZOO.

I have the kettle on at the drop of the hat for a cuppa, must admit I like to have a couple of dunky biccy's at the same time, probably why we go through so many. I make it in a cup if it's just for me but more than one and I do it in a teapot.
    We do use mugs, but I like mine in fine bone china mugs,it does taste better (these are my special ones they don't get given out to anyone else, bought for me by my boys!) My Grandma always used bone china cups and saucers though, and had maderia cake with a smearing of icing on top!!!!!!!!!!!!! YuMMMMMM

When we were in NZ, my tea-drinking OH couldn't find a decent brand of tea. She nearly gagged on Dilma's (sp?) product, which seemed de rigeur in the restaurants & supermarket. It made Farmer Brother's taste downright delish. I hope that something better shows up before we move there, or we'll have to bring in a few kilos of Republic of Tea's Earl Gray.

Isn't teatime generally a light afternoon repast to tide you over from lunch to dinner? I recall in England that dinner (at the pubs & restaurants) usually occurred after 7:00, which played hell with my dining clock.

Cream Tea - ooh, yummy! It seemed to be served around 2:00 or 3:00, and consisted of tea, scones, jam and Devonshire cream. Definitely not low fat.

Otherwise, I've heard that sandwiches might be eaten with tea sometime during the afternoon.

From what I have seen of teas here is that they tend to be fairly informal, though I am sure there are formal ones. Most of mine have been at work. We trade off brining things in and these range from doughnuts to muffins, crackers, various sugary things and cheese. Have to say though that among the people I know coffee is much more popular than tea about 2/3 coffee drinkers and 1/3 tea while we have 'tea'.

If your talking to a Brit then Tea Time is your evening meal gathered around the table about 5.30-7.00 at the latest

If your talking about a cuppa tea time then any time is good. A pot, a cup who cares as long as it's a decent brew

My wife has found Choysa Green to be the best brand for a nice cuppa after doing the rounds with the other tea bags that taste like cats pee.

But saying that, 10am is the standard morning tea or teab break etc. Have a biscuit and if you're like me, dip it in yer brew

Twinings' Earl Grey or Breakfast (yep, you can get it in NZ) - okay dunked, but better in a pot! Gotta have something to dunk - preferably something that will break off mid-dunk so you can slurp the goo out at the end of the cuppa or something like a Tim Tam that you can use as a straw (eh Jubjub!!).

Tigerlily, you're bringing the schoolmarm out in me now! (Not that I've ever actually been a teacher!! ). All the above are correct, and here's my take on it all:

Morning tea-break depends what time you start work, but usually 10.30 in my experience. This is tea or coffee, but still referred to as "tea break".
    Afternoon tea in UK between 3.00-4.30 pm (called "le five o'clock" in France where it is not so common!). In the olden days (or at the Ritz nowadays if you can afford it) it consisted of cucumber sandwiches and fancy cakes with tea to drink (not breakfast tea though).
    "Teatime" is the main meal for most Brits at about 6 (plus or minus an hour), called Dinner by some and Supper by yet others. Most people I know don't drink tea with this one.
    Tea as a beverage is drunk throughout the day, sometimes with, sometimes without food.
    When I was little, I was always told that it was rude to dip (dunk) biscuits in your tea or coffee. No-one I know has ever let this stop them. I am so looking forward to using Tam-Tams as a straw.

Hope you're enjoying all this tea information!!
    Gil
    Last edited by gil; 2nd October 2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling!

When I was little, I was always told that it was rude to dip (dunk) biscuits in your tea or coffee.
    Oh yes!! It was a treat to be allowed to dunk - but dunking chocolate biccies (or even choc coated!!) was strictly forbidden!! Hence why I now dunk anything I can (and stay up late even if I'm tired ).

I am so looking forward to using Tam-Tams as a straw.
    You can pppppractice with a ppppppenguin

Apparently cadbury fingers work well too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast