Thread: Left prescription drugs in UK

Default Left prescription drugs in UK

Hi everyone,

So I thought I was highly organised with everything when I left the UK, but clearly wasn't! I am on regular prescription drugs from the GP so before I left I put a request in and asked them for 3 months supply whilst we got set up over here. The prescription was sent to the pharmacy but like a numpty I forgot to go pick it up! My mother in law has kindly been in for me and collected. She is visiting us at the end of February but unfortunately I am nearly out of tablets. I have been to the local GP here to register but there is a long waiting list. There is a new doctors surgery being built but not sure when that will be ready.
    So my question is could my mother in law post me the tablets? I didn't think to ask the GP for a letter either before I left to confirm what I am on but I do have the repeat prescription with me and she will also have a copy with the tablets.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

I hope that link works. In general: not allowed. Are you going to get in trouble for having blood pressure meds shipped to you? Probably not. I would definitely not have any controlled substances sent. Note: it would also be illegal to have another person carry meds into the country for you. Again, I doubt anyone at the airport would care about blood pressure meds.

I suspect your GP would see you more urgently if needed.

You can also see any GP on a casual basis, you don't have to be enrolled. The charges will be higher though (probably in the > $70 range rather than $40 ish).

I did the same when we moved out here and a friend tried to send my meds over - never made it, so I can only infer that they were impounded by customs.
    Best advice I can offer is to just explain your predicament at the docs surgery and they'll sort you out, happens all the time.

If you go to a GP before you're officially registered - you'll pay about NZ$50 instead of the usual NZ$17 or thereabouts.
    You should be able to find a GP who will see you the same day.

I misplaced son's seizure meds when we were on our reccie trip and went to a walk in a/e and walked out with a script.

Great, thanks everyone. I didn't realise I could see a GP without being registered. I will nip back to the surgery and see if I can do this. Thanks for all your replies.