Thread: Oil column heaters from the US-should I bring them?

Default Oil column heaters from the US-should I bring them?

If I bring oil column hearers from the US will I need a transformer for each one? I'm thinking there's no motor so no need for a transformer right

You will almost definitely need a transformer. There is likely a plate with electrical information (probably near where the cord attaches to the heater). Unless it says something like 120-240V it will need a transformer. Keep in mind that a 2000 watt heater would need a 5000 watt transformer. I never owned an electric heater before moving here, but they are not something that will break the bank. However, heating your home to a comfortable temperature with one might.

I considered bringing my oil heaters but decided against. Someone suggested that my insurance may not cover the house if the heater were to cause a fire. That was enough for me to decide to buy new ones here. There's a multitude of oil heaters available here. You'll pay more for them but they are often on sale and you might be able to pick up a used one on Trademe.

Thanks so much for your input Dell and 72andsunny, I guess I'll sell them in the garage sale

Oil column heaters are so cheap to buy in NZ that you wouldn't bother using a step down transformer. Here's one for $30NZD ($25 USD)

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/heater-oil...10-5_p00311056

Larger 2 or 3Kw models are not that much more expensive.