Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arriving Auckland January-items i should bring?

Default Arriving Auckland January-items i should bring?

Hello everyone,
    I'm arriving in Auckland from the UK in a few weeks time having obtained a one year work visa to work for a truck company. I'm going to need a laptop or tablet when I'm there, does anyone know if these are more expensive in nz? also are there any cheap ways to transfer money from UK to NZ bank accounts as doing it through the banks rather expensive.
    I've been told sun tan lotion is cheaper here (uk)..can anyone think of other things that I would be better to bring with me?
    Cheers
    AJ

Almost certainly cheaper in the UK than here for electronics. However, if you're coming via Hong Kong there's no VAT there so electronics will routinely be 10-15% cheaper than many places. We're going to Borneo via Hong Kong in June and will be buying our new iPhones and iPads while there

If you're intending to buy sun tan lotion before travelling, be sure to get a high enough SPF kind, that will cope with UVA and UVB. Sun protection is a whole other matter in NZ - it may help to look at this whole site, not just the one page. http://sunsmart.org.nz/being-sunsmart/using-sunscreen

Also bring paracetamol and antihistamines if you have allergies. Over the counter medicines are really pricey, but light and take up no space in a case.

Hi AJ,
    If want to buy any furniture or white ware etc in January at Auckland then feel free to contact me . I am moving out at end January and have everything up for sale.
    details on link :
    http://auckland.gumtree.co.nz/c-ViewAd?AdId=550410889

Thanks for your replies- I have bought factor 30 sun protection...hope that 's enough.

if the job works out I will be looking to rent a small apartment in the mount wellington area, looking at trademe most seem to be unfurnished so I will be certainly looking for basic furnishings...and a car as i'm only bringing a suitcase with me.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Almost certainly cheaper in the UK than here for electronics. However, if you're coming via Hong Kong there's no VAT there so electronics will routinely be 10-15% cheaper than many places. We're going to Borneo via Hong Kong in June and will be buying our new iPhones and iPads while there
    Just so you know, iPhones purchased in HK cannot be serviced in NZ, if you have any issues you have to ship them back to HK. Additionally, by the time you pay NZ taxes it negates most savings...

Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Just so you know, iPhones purchased in HK cannot be serviced in NZ, if you have any issues you have to ship them back to HK. Additionally, by the time you pay NZ taxes it negates most savings...

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    Who told you that?
    Besides being a MCSD I'm also an ACMT (Apple Certified Mac Technician) and did some fill in work at a few AASPs here when we first arrived.

What's an MCSD? ACMT I know

I've never bought any of my Apple devices here and have had no difficulties getting them serviced here--though that means Apple sends me a packing kit so they're sent to Australia for servicing or replacement. But I also always get AppleCare on my devices. Bought mine in Canada, Australia or the US though; not Hong Kong. I know Apple can decline to provide support if not bought in NZ (the dreaded footnote #3), but I've not yet been turned down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast