Thread: Am I eligible for a work visa?

Default Am I eligible for a work visa?

Hi all

My work visa based on relationship got declined as immigration did not think that my wife (girlfriend at that time) and I were partners. Although we gave them proofs of living together for atleast 4 months. After that we got married in my home country and my wife spent just under a month there. Now finally i am in New Zealand after 5 months of marriage but they decided to give me a visitors visa as they see us fitting into the definition of partners but ignored the fact that we have already lived together in the past.

Now I am here but cannot work and it is really hard for my wife to afford all the expenses. I want to know when is the earliest I can apply for work rights ie, work visa? My wife is completing her bachelors degree so she will have to go back to study in Feb. Which means that she will not be working more than 20 hours either.

Panic!!

They usually take eight to twelve weeks of partnership evidence, running up to the date of submitting the application, seriously. When did you get the grant of the partner-sponsored visitor's visa?

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Hmm my visa started from the 19 dec as thats when I entered the country. But we have also lived together for about 4 months before we got married. Does that not count towards the requirement?
    So what is the earliest time I can apply for work rights?
    Thank you again.

Yes, ALL evidence of a continuing, stable live-in relationship counts. But you have to be able to show a lot of solid evidence. Old threads may give you an idea. https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&...tnership+proof If you have extra proof of your earlier time together, you might POSSIBLY get them to change you over to a work visa shortly. But otherwise, you'll need to give it two to three months from your first application for a partner-sponsored visa, collecting all kinds of evidence all the time. Go on collecting it even after the application goes in, because INZ very often ask for just a little more, right before the visa is granted (covering the time while the application was being processed). And continue the process even after you get your work visa, because you'll need 12 months' continuous evidence when you apply for partner-sponsored Residence.

Thank you for being an awesome help.
    So i will just collect all the evidence that I have and apply for a visa. I hope there is no harm in trying especially when we are running into difficulties so early as a new couple.
    Thank you JandM

Good luck.