Thread: My strategy to move down under - Advice is welcome

Default My strategy to move down under - Advice is welcome

Hi all,

First post here, but I have been reading for the last few weeks.
    So... I am looking into moving to NZ!

My situation is pretty straight forward. 36, Italian citizenship, no kids, and lucky enough to have worked in future growth and absolute shortage jobs over the last 10 years in The Netherlands.
    My diploma and trading certifications must be verified by NZQA, as far as I could understand, This being successful, I should get 110 points on EOI.
    if NZQA does not certified, I will be far away from the 100 points and bye bye NZ...

In principle I would apply for an SMC as It would make me employer indipendent, so to speak. A work visa would be the obvious second choice.

Being an IT project manager myself I am very excited about the relocation projcet...

Now, my plan is the following:

1) Get my diploma and certifications certified by NZQA, so the lengthy process is out of the way,

2) Visit NZ, and specifically Auckland areas in March for a couple weeks to:
    a. get to know the city, identify areas I would want to leave, better understand how life works down there
    b. better understand the job market and possibly have a few interviews already, maybe with recruiters.

At this point I see two options:

1) Apply for en EOI as skilled migrant and than properly search for a job.
    2) Apply for a job in NZ and than request the visa. The idea here is that NZQA is done and a job offer would give me 5 points.The employer maybe keener on giving me the job knowing that the visa process should be faster.

I own my flat, though I could sell or rent out while in NZ. Got savings aside to cope with the transition 'turbulences"

How do you yous see this?

A couple of more questions:
    - Must all visa application be accompanied by a Health certificate?
    - Does NZQA recognizes IT certifications like Prince2, ISO2000, ITSM Experts TMAP etc?

Thanks in advance
    Ciao
    Carlo

I wonder if you would like to share where you see your points coming from?

You may like to look at the detailed regulations about points for the EOI, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm SM6 has a chart of all possible points, and the last column tells you which section to look in, to see the exact requirements for them.

I see you've mentioned the identified future growth area - notice, points related to this are only available if you have a NZ job or job offer. An area of absolute skills shortage is often something one can claim instead.

If you don't have a job or job offer, an EOI with 110 points is very unlikely to be selected - selections haven't been dipping this low for a long time. However, if you get a job offer, an EOI with 100 points or more will be selected at the very next draw.

If your qualifications aren't the kind that can be recognized by NZQA (and I don't know about this, though other people in your line of work may be able to comment on that), there is still hope. If you can get a job offer from an accredited employer, you would probably be able to be granted a WTR visa, as such employers are trusted to recognize a person whose experience fits them for the job they want done, and WTR can lead on to Residence.

Thanks for your reply Jan, and happy new year of course!

Here comes the points breakdown:

- Relevant work experience in an equivalent country in a future area of growth/absolut shortage (10 years/2years): 40 points
    - Qualification level 5 (Diploma, NOT in future Growth or Absolute Shortage) + IT Certifications (in Future Growth and Absolute Shortage). NZQA may certified my overall education with a bit higher points due to the certifications but I do not assume so at this point: 40 points at least
    - Job offer in future growth, if I get one: 75 points

All this would lead to 180 points, which is higher than the 110 I originallly calculated (my mistake)

If I undestand right what you are saying, it all depends on the job offer, as the points I would accumulate without it are too low to get me an SMC right away.

With the WtoR visa I would not have to go through NZQA and point calculations but (simply) be lucky enough to get a 24 month contract.
    This could also be an option although, of course, increase the uncertaininty over the future.
    It looks like the job does not have to necessary come from an accredited employer. Can you comment on this?

Regards
    Carlo

Hi. I think you have a chance of getting your SMC - but I think you are understandably a little confused about the points. You do seem to have been doing a lot of homework though! Just about everyone is confused until they get their heads round it! I can't resolve this for you, as I don't have enough information about you. However, here are a few things to consider. IT Project manager has the occupational code (ANZSCO) 135112. This requires either a degree or at least 5 years of relevant experience - that is experience in this field of work. So, with a job offer and 5 years or more of relevant experience you meet the requirements to be skilled in that occupation. Unfortunately, it doesn't look to me like you are eligible for a Work to Residence:LTSSL visa because you don't meet the LTSSL requirements (see below). However, with a job offer, you would have 50 points for the offer, 25 for age, and more than 25 for experience (assuming it is relevant), so you would have enough points (100) without worrying about qualifications. Without a job offer, you have a problem. This is because you don't meet the requirements in Columns 3 and 4 on the Long term Skills Shortage lists - as you don't have one of the specific degrees listed. This means you cannot claim any points relating to LTSSL (AASS) bonus points). There is a small chance that NZQA might consider the combination of your diploma and industry qualifications as equivalent to a degree - but if I am honest, I think this is unlikely. I know how important vendor certificates are in the IT industry and I have spoke to INZ about recognising them. Maybe one day soon! So, in a nutshell, with a job, you stand a very good chance of either a work visa (Essential Skills perhaps) or SMC. Without it, I think your chances are more limited. Do ask, if you have more questions. Kind regards. Karen

On the point of IT Project Managers, there is presently a surplus in the NZ market, in that there are a lot more looking than there are positions available in this field and one of the top assets is NZ experience which most of the local applicants would already possess. The only caveat to this I would add is internationals looking for PMs with North American experience, although, those positions are rare.

.. but there are some specifics in the way of knowledge that might help you. I can make you no promises and I won't charge you anything, but if you want to send me a private message with your email address I will reply and you can send me a copy of your CV. I have contacts looking fro the right IT Project managers. Cheers. Karen (You need to have made 5 posts before you can do this.)

Hi Karen,
    that is very nice of you. I tried to find the PM function but it looks like it is disabled for me despite the 5+ post.
    Could you maybe PM me instead?
    Regards
    Carlo

Did you give it time? The system often takes about 20 minutes to 'notice' that the forum member has now done five posts.