Thread: Colombian Couple. From Singapore to New Zealand.

Default Colombian Couple. From Singapore to New Zealand.

Hi All,

We are a Colombian Couple living in Singapore. I am 28YO and my wife 25YO. I have been working for almost 1 year and a half, and I married my 6-years-Girlfriend the last September. She lived with me in Singapore from February 2013 to May 2013, and the returned to Colombia for 6 months. Once we got married I applied for her Dependant Visa in SG, it was approved and now we are living here in SG since October. Now i received a job offer in New Zealand and I am applying for the work visa, but we are not sure Which visa is better to apply for my wife as we have lived together just 6 months (The requirement for the partnership-based visa is a specified number of months or all depends on the Officer??).
    We want to apply for the Partnership-Based temporary Visitor Visa, although she has a Degree in physiotherapy, the plans are that she starts first studying english and later a postgraduate course. Anyway Our big questions are: Is likely to get an approval with the partnership-based Visa even we have lived just 6 months together or we better go for a Visitor Visa instead, and later on once we achieve more time living together we apply for the partner visa?, and the other question is If its better to apply for the Partnership Visa, is there any difference on the chances to get the approval between the Partnership-Based Visitor visa and the Partnership-base work visa in our case?

Thanks a lot for your help

Juan

Hi Juan. I believe that you stand a very good chance of getting a Temporary Partnership-based Work Visa or Visitor Visa for your wife. (Assuming there are no other issues that I don't know about.) You have a total of 7 months living together and you can demonstrate that your relationship has lasted at the very least since February 2013. You can explain why you were not able to live together between May and October. Provide as much evidence as you can using official documents, correspondence, flight tickets, photos of you together etc. as well as your marriage certificate. On either of these visas your wife can study for a short time (maximum of 3 months) to improve her English. She can also work. If she wants to study for a longer period, she will need a student visa unless you have already obtained residence. Once you both have residence she can pay domestic student fees for her studies although she won't be eligible for a student loan for 3 years from the date you gain residence. I hope this helps. Good luck! Karen

Hi Karen!
    Sorry for the very very late Reply! Thanks for the advice
    The visas were granted and now we are just waiting to the end of Feb. to flight to Invercargill!
    Just for reference, I applied for a LTSSL Visa but the Officer suggested to Change the type of visa to Essential Skills as my Colombian Degree needs an Assesment to be recognized in NZ. So the Essential Skills Work Visa worked perfectly along with my Wife's Partnership work visa.
    Cheers!!