Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to live in Auckland

Default where to live in Auckland

Hi all!
    This is my first post, we are planning to move over to Auckland in sept. We are coming over in Feb for three and a half weeks to have a look around. We came over a few years ago as a couple but we now have two children (4 and 1), any advice as to areas to have a look at to live would be much appreciated. My other half will be working in the CBD district so it needs to be commutable to there. Also I'm looking for some where with a sense of community and some amenities. I've read so many threads but I'm so confused, just really want to make the best use of our visit.
    Thanks

My suggestion would be to look for apartments in CBD, short term rentals are relatively easy to find in CBD and also commute, groceries.

Have a look at what jownbc mentioned here

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42981

Hi sun777,
    We live in a suburb of Manchester at the moment, I'm not sure if city living is really my thing but thank you for your advice. Are there any residential areas that you would recommend?

Only the CBD itself is really city-like in Auckland. And bits of Newmarket. Mostly Auckland suburbs are dominated by single unit housing--houses mostly.

Within the boundaries of Auckland there are places to live that are everything from city-type apartments (as just mentioned), town areas around a large shopping complex, small town centres with housing around, country villages surrounded by farmland and bush (natural vegetation), communities centred on a sea-front, and isolated properties in their own grounds. Yes, all parts of Auckland. So let us know the sort of place you'd like to be in.

Hi, community centred on a sea front or a small town centre appeals.$500 max on rent and walking distance to a good school (not too large). I have been reading about schools and the word decile and a number keeps comming up, im a bit confused as to what this means in real life?????

Is that $500 per week or per month? From my experience, and I don't live there but in my experience most areas around the CBD are very expensive. Decile rating is the rating used to determine how much funding the national government provides to the schools. Most schools in NZ are not fully funded and a higher decile rating can mean higher out of pocket expenses for you and each one of your children. I don't know the UK equivalent but the decile rating is used to establish your property tax rate, much in the same way millage rate is assessed in the US. Higher the decile, higher the taxes. The perception is that higher decile ratings mean better quality schools but your results may vary.

That was $500 a week very Max!!! Thanks for clearing up the decile rating, it makes more sense now. Albany and Torbay look nice also mission bay, any one live there or can recommend them? Just a bit concerned with the commute from Albany?

Here's the Ministry of Education word on school decile ratings. http://www.minedu.govt.nz/Parents/Al...leRatings.aspx They're not necessarily linked to the quality of the education.

http://www.maxx.co.nz/ is a good starting point for exploring Auckland public transport. The journey planner there shows Albany to the Britomart takes 50 - 60 minutes and costs $5.60.

Thank you, we can't wait to come over and start our new adventure. I have read a lot about the where to live in Auckland book, is it available in shops over there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast